Distribute my standard rate cut off to my husband

virgo08

I am planning on going part time in my job to work 1 day a week for my husband. Because of this I am at a loss of approx €100 net. I was going to give my husband some of my standard rate cut off and take some of his credit so that i won't be at a loss. Can anyone advise if i am doing the right thing or is there a better way to do this tax wise?

Presumably if you are working for your husband then he is self employed. Hopefully he has an accountant. You should check with the accountant as he/she will know the best course of action relevant to your particular circumstances.

e.g My Standard Rate cut off is €700 My Gross Pay is €600 so im left with €100 which i was going to allocate to him. Then take €50 of his tax credit to bring my net pay back up a little. Hope this all makes sense. He is Self Employed so i thought this would be the best option instead of him paying me for 1 day for the work i do for him?

Myself and Mrs Q just did this. I am taking all of the cut-off (€44400) and the tax redits (€7500 approx). This means I can earn more before being hit with 41%, as well as having a higher tax free ceiling. The tax office will do this over the phone, or you can do it at www.ros.ie (have to register for this and get a PIN).

Back