Dispute between two executors who are also the benificaries of late mothers will.

Emigration also works on a points system...if your sister works in a shop and husband stays at home...I'm not sure they would qualify without a large amount of cash. Does the five to six year time frame relate to completion of children's schooling or professional qualifications.

Also best laid plans don't work out...I have a friend who is one of 7 and three wanted to keep family home. This was 5 years ago.land around house was zoned commercial and they were dithering on an offer for several million for years. Eventually commercial company got fed up waiting and bought elsewhere. Family home now worth a lot less.

Also remember if she stays there she may claim squatters rights after six years

Taken from Irish Independent

If a squatter enjoys adverse and exclusive possession of land for 12 years which is inconsistent with the title of the true owner, the title of that property owner is said to be extinguished.

This is reduced to six years where the property is the estate of a deceased person

Out of interest, how old is your sister, if she is too old now to get a mortgage, why would she be even considering emigration in five or six years time? Emigration is a huge upheaval for any family especially so for parents getting on in years. It looks like your sister us burying her head in the sand and can't face moving from the home she has become accustomed to living in these past number of years. Hope you come to an amicable solution OP, it's very important to try and preserve the relationship between the two of you.
Hi ya moneybox, she is 50 and turning 51 in October.

Give your sister a fixed amount of time (3 years) for free rent, then sell the house. Factor in the cost of your mam being in a home for two years (100k) and give half (personally i'd give 3/4) to your sister from proceeds of sale (for her 'choosing' to look after her mam in her time of need, you obviously have no idea what 'caring' for a loved one entails) Though if your sister wants to stay put, work something out like a ten year loan to recoup half your share of the house, minus the cost of two years hospice fees. Good luck!

From what i understand, they had care workers every day, even though the husband didn't have a job.
Personally, from all the (one-sided) details I read here, I don't think the OP owes much to his sister.
Maybe a couple of years rent free.

Back