Disability Benefit

BellaWella

Hi guys. I am new to all this. I am looking to apply for disability benefit as I suffer with my nerves really bad I won't go into all the details. I have zero income and not in receipt of any SW payments. I don't work and rely solely on my partner, he works full time but I've come to the realisation that I should be entitled to some benefit as I suffer in silence and don't complain not even to my GP. But I am due to see him on Friday to discuss my issues. Do anyone of you know how I go about this or any advice you can give me would be great. Thank you.

You should have a read of this first:
Then explain your situation/condition to the GP and ask if they can provide the relevant certification for the relevant payment.

You should register for a Social Welfare MyWelfare account too as it helps with managing claims and dealing with SW.
You should also consider talking to SW directly too at your local Intreo office - they are very helpful and there to assist those who need to avail of their schemes.
Good luck.

For disability benefit or illness benefit you need to have paid PRSI contributions to qualify. If you have a long term illness you may be entitled to Disability allowance and this is not based on PRSI contributions but is means tested. You should ask your local citizens information centre for advice - they are very good.

Back