Case study Disability Allowance and working

care assistant

I am receiving disability allowance in the south and have been offered a job as a care assistant in Derry, can i keep any of my disability allowance, if my weekly wage is under 350 euro. I live alone and claim just for myself.

I think you need to check with DSP, but I was quite surprised that a friend of mine on disability was allowed to work by DSP, so it appears possible. She herself didn't think they'd allow it but they did. She is self-employed running a stall in a market. I'm not sure about how they have limited her benefits but it certainly seems like something that can be done.

I am receiving disability allowance in the south and have been offered a job as a care assistant in Derry, can i keep any of my disability allowance, if my weekly wage is under 350 euro. I live alone and claim just for myself.

I phoned citizens advice and they told me that i would have to ask permission to work part time rehabilitation work, with a letter from my GP and that this could take some time again i would get a reply. I do not wish to discuss my personal busness with my employer, C A also told me do not start any work until i have the permission to do so, this is so frastrating as my employer will just give the job to someone thats ready to work, this is so disapointing as i live in the sticks and need my car, its a nessesaty not a luxury and i need to work to keep it on the road.

Back