DIRT and self assessment

Calico

This is probably a stupid question, but is interest you receive after paying DIRT liable to make up part of your income for self-assessment?

It is, isn't it?

Yes, you include it as part of self assessment. But I think you include the gross amount (don't have the form at had right now but I think they ask for "gross amount of interest from which DIRT has been deducted"

Sprite

Yes, you include it as part of self assessment. But I think you include the gross amount (don't have the form at had right now but I think they ask for "gross amount of interest from which DIRT has been deducted"

Sprite

W/Sprite is correct, the gross income goes in under "interest from which tax has been deducted", you then get credit for the DIRT paid on it. As it is only liable at 20% the DIRT satisfies your entire tax liability. However there may be PRSI/Levy on it depending on total income which for self-employed that would be 3%+2% respecively for 2007.

Ok lets say you have a joint bank account and you're self employed and your partner is PAYE.
How do you work out how to charge the interest??
Do you split the amount 50:50?
Could you assign all of interest to PAYE person?

Back