directors pension

rupert7

I am director of a company and a sole employee. My father is also a director but just in name as i needed two directors. I am also a employtee of another company earning approx 55,000 a year. I have not drawn a wage from the company but there is €20,000 that can be drawn as a wage. I don't want to be taxed at the marginal rate of 41% so was thinking of getting my dad to put the 20,000 as a directors pension (he is 60 years old) and then get the 20,000 in 5 years time rather than getting 10,000 not after tax. Is this possible? will there be no tax on directors pension or does it depend on his existing pension arrangements?
I apologise if these are silly questions but i'm new to this!
Thanks in advance for any help.

A company can only establish a pension plan for a Director/employee based on earnings. So if neither of you are being paid a salary, it is not possible to establish a company pension based on zero salary.
In addition, the amount of pension benefit you can fund is also based on the number of years service with the company (must be salaried service- not years when no salary paid).
What might be possible is for you to draw down some of the €20k, pay tax on it but then reinvest the gross amount as an AVC (and reclaim the tax relief) if you are a member of a pension scheme under your other employment (if no pension scheme then you could start a Personal Pension Plan for non-pensionable earnings). Depending on your age (I guess 30+) you could invest 20% of your €55,000 (€11,000 for two years) thus using up the €20,000. But in this case the funds are locked away until you retire.

Back