didnt submit tax return

Chiggles

Hi I formerly traded as a sole trader in addition to my paye job.

I have not done this since 2005 and submitted a nil return in 2006.

Last year I didnt submit a return but sent them a letter explaining that I hadn't traded in the year.

Despite this I recently received an "or else" letter from the tax office saying that they had not received a return and that I would be liable for a multiple of my tax liability as a punishment.

Whats the best way to deal with this? phone, letter or personal visit?

Thanks

Tell them when you ceased. If you have not had any self-emploment or other non-PAYE sources of income since 2005 then you do not have any requirment to file Form 11. Letter or fax is best. You could also visit your local district but not really necessary. The problem here is the system is expecting a return unless it it told not to expect one. You should have told them at the time when you ceased. That is the hub of the problem. If you can explain that one was not needed by virtue of no self-employment or non-paye income then there will be no problem.

A form 11 may still be due for any year when thre were non-PAYE sources. However if there were non then Revenue may accept to cancel the self-assessment registration from the last year of trading.

hi al

thanks for the advice.
Spoke to the revenue and they advised that I ned to write to thenm and request to be deregistered for income tax, backdated to dat of ceased trading.

MH

Back