Did I pay too much tax on overtime?

keithrf900

I just want to put this question out there for a few possible answer's. I done some over time in work two weeks ago and got taxed to the eye balls. I got 188.88 for 10 hours work. Out of that i got to take home 52 euro. I made this out that i would pay 41% paye,2% gov levy,1% prsi and 3% pension. If there is anything i'm missing let me know. I have been on to the finance dept in the job and they are checking it out for me. I would expect to see about half the money i earned not 30 odd %. Any help?????????????

PRSI is 4% and health levy are 4% but that still leaves your tax rate well short of the amount deducted.

It is possible that your overtime pushed you into a higher rate of PRSI, which resulted in both your overtime and your basic pay being subject to extra tax.

Past30

The very worst case would see you paying the following deductions (* = see notes below):

PAYE 41%
Highest public sector pension levy 10.5% *
Highest income levy 6% **
Your pension 3%
PRSI 4%
Health contribution 5% ***

Total deductions 69.5% of the overtime, leaving you with 30.5%

See the following notes- basically to be hit as hard as this you'd need to be earning monthly somewhere north of €14582.... which at the overtime rate you indicate seems unlikely.
Also, if your tax credits were reduced to 0 for the month it might be possible that your PAYE has increased?
Overall, it seems a VERY high deduction.

Notes:
* If your monthly earnings exceed €6000 and you are employed in the public/civil service
** If your monthly earnings exceed €14582 (lucky you!)
*** If your monthly earnings exceed €6253

Back