Did anyone decide not to rent for 2 years?

I will add btw, even as I have done this; its a totally reprehensible situation that a property is kept off the market for a full two years at a time when there is a housing shortage.

This is 100% a consequence of rent control legislation.

Last edited:
We have taken out a bedroom, physically removed the wall. Replaced the kitchen, bathroom and a lick of paint. Problem solved. 1 bedroom apartment a current market rates is better than a two bedroom at rates from 25 years ago.
That's clever, because its awkward enough in an apartment to meet the change rules. I was thinking if I was in OP's situation I'd try to add a room or an en-suite, increase the Ber, maybe widen doors and that would cover the three things required, but never thought of combining rooms !

hat's clever, because its awkward enough in an apartment to meet the change rules. I was thinking if I was in OP's situation I'd try to add a room or an en-suite, increase the Ber, maybe widen doors and that would cover the three things required, but never thought of combining rooms !
You're likely to face a further challenge in an apartment situation that you may not be permitted carry out such works without explicit consent as you don't own structural elements.

I know a landlord and his tenants were awarded a social house after years on the council list. Tenants left within a few weeks and he decided to do a major refurbishment as the rent was well below market rents for the area. It took months to source builders and complete the work. RTB said the works didn't meet the rules for a substantial refurbishment so he left it empty for a further 6/7 months then let it at market rate. I think his insurance policy was also more expensive while it was empty.

He said he was sorry he hadn't done a typical new tenancy repainting, new flooring, beds etc and re-let it within 3 months, as it would take him years to recoup the cost of the refurbishment plus the loss of 2 years rent.
This is a fair point - if the home is going to be vacant even if the last rent was 50% of market asking prices you are still looking at a year of no rent, plus whatever costs associated with vacancy are.
Most people I know who have done this just moved in their large adult daughters. Except of course they too may refuse to move, but you technically can charge them rent & I don't think RTB applies if letting to family members?

You're likely to face a further challenge in an apartment situation that you may not be permitted carry out such works without explicit consent as you don't own structural elements.
Also technically would have a problem with planning if you want to sell in the future as the property would not be as the original PP described

Reactions: Leo
Also technically would have a problem with planning if you want to sell in the future as the property would not be as the original PP described
Would that be a problem if only the internal layout was changed?
I know someone who changed the layout in an older house to combine a tiny kitchen and dining room to an open plan room. They also combined the separate WC and bathroom. They didn't need PP but it was a house tbf.

Last edited:
Would that be a problem if only the internal layout was changed?
I know someone who changed the layout in an older house to combine a tiny kitchen and dining room to an open plan room. They also combined the separate WC and bathroom. They didn't need PP but it was a house tbf.
You generally don't need planning permission to change the internal layout of a property, though en engineer's report on compliance with planning & building regs will be required.

Of course the situation is different in an apartment where it's usually forbidden via the lease to change the internal layout.

You generally don't need planning permission to change the internal layout of a property, though en engineer's report on compliance with planning & building regs will be required.
Does this apply in a house sale too? Because I sold a house where the layout was completely changed, broke wall to make downstairs room part of kitchen and a granny flat conversion of garage.

Does this apply in a house sale too? Because I sold a house where the layout was completely changed, broke wall to make downstairs room part of kitchen and a granny flat conversion of garage.
If selling to a buyer seeking finance then the banks's have gotten a lot stickier on this in recent years. I bought one ~3 years ago where an internal wall was removed to create open plan kitchen diner and the bank insisted on a cert of compliance.

If selling to a buyer seeking finance then the banks's have gotten a lot stickier on this in recent years. I bought one ~3 years ago where an internal wall was removed to create open plan kitchen diner and the bank insisted on a cert of compliance.
I had to provide a cert for similar when we were switching mortgages.

Above someone said you would give up 30k rent.

Have you done the numbers on how much selling and buying would cost you? (Finding one that was not rented).

I suppose CGT and stress might make this not a runner.

Will the maths not add up on selling the property and buying one "next door"?

It would realise a gain in my cases but sooner or later it's likely the tax will be due anyway?

2 years rent to relinquish in order to secure higher rent is a lot.

How would the bank know the wall had been removed?

You have to declare if any structural changes have been made. I guess you could say no but that's fraudulent. It cost us a couple of hundred for the cert and we would need it if we ever sold. I would always advise anyone to get one at the time of the works.

I hear they are asking for confirmation on most purchases these days, the only alternative is the person they sent to value the property told them the floor plan didn't match that on the planning permission.

Above someone said you would give up 30k rent.

Have you done the numbers on how much selling and buying would cost you? (Finding one that was not rented).

I suppose CGT and stress might make this not a runner.
We considered it before but felt that we would not be in an easy situation to buy and sell at the same time. The cgt is not a major consideration. It would actually be a good thing as we would have very little cgt due currently.
Looking at our finances, we are back considering it as we would then be able to solve 3 issues with have if we find a small house (keep a possible accommodation for our children, increasing rent and not be dependent on the actions of an omc).

Is the property in an area that might get PP for airbnb? There are companies who can look after day-to-day management of keys, guests, linen and cleaning on behalf of owners.
Is it easy to get the permission or can someone carry on without it?

How does revenue view this? I read before that if you charge no rent to offspring revenue deem the rent, for tax purposes, to be at the top of the market. If you have a property rented out at a a low rent but are now screwed by the RPZs can you set a similarly fair (ie manageable) rent to offspring?
This is a fair point - if the home is going to be vacant even if the last rent was 50% of market asking prices you are still looking at a year of no rent, plus whatever costs associated with vacancy are.
Most people I know who have done this just moved in their large adult daughters. Except of course they too may refuse to move, but you technically can charge them rent & I don't think RTB applies if letting to family members

Back