develping B&W film

A

aBitTooFar

develping B&W film

Hi,

I have professional B&W 135mm 36 exposure B&W film and I want to get it 2 7" x 5" sets developed. The first place I tried charges e25 for this. Is e25 the going rate or can I get good quailty at a lesser price?

I haven't done it professionally in a long time, but e25 for D&P for 2 full sets of 36 5"x7"s is probably about the going rate.

Mad that it should be so much more expensive than colour, but 'market forces', etc... :rolleyes

Try ringing Leary's photo lab (Chelmsford Road, Ranelagh, don't have the no. to hand but they're in the book). They used to be fairly reasonable when I used them last, and they do good work.

Alternatively, do you know anyone in a camera club (maybe at school or college) with access to a B&W darkroom? Because the materials would cost well under a tenner...

An Oige used to run processing and printing classes and make their darkrooms available to students/members in case they still do that. Did a bit of B&W processing and printing myself (while crouching with a friend in his attic!) but it was years ago too. Good fun though if you're into photography. Nice to see that everybody hasn't gone digital too... :)

C-41

When you say you have "professional B&W 135mm 36 exposure B&W film", could you mean Kodak Professional T400CN? If so, you know that it can be developed using the C-41 process, which is the same as most of the high street shops use for regular colour film processing. It should be done at a similar rate which I think is about €20 to €25ish for two 36 exposure rolls these days.

Back