Desperate help - Confidentiality Concerns - JSA, p45, for a new employer

• Thread starter jamie2377356
  • Start date
J

jamie2377356

Hi

Here is the thing, I am starting a prestigious job in 8 months, but until then I am VERY broke and jobless. I don't think it is prestigious really, but they pride themselves on it. If I take a menial job in the meantime, and they find out, it will be highly frowned upon and I will not advance in the new company as fast. Please do not debate with me whether they will care or not.

My questions are:

1) If I take a job in the meantime, say telemarketing for example, will my new employer find out WHO my previous employer was and HOW MUCH I made? And how can I avoid these 2 things?
- as far as I know your previous employer will give you a p45
- It does not say the previous employer's name, but from what I understand sometimes they stamp it
- I also understand you can send into HMRC directly and they will provide you and your new employer with a tax certificate, but how is this any different than the p45?

2) If I have to go on job seeker's allowance in the meantime, will the new employer find out? And how?
- I spoke with the job centre plus and they confirmed for me that the new employer will know because the job centre stamps the p45 they give you after you stop receiving benefits
-can I send this stamped p45 form JSA into to HMRC to receive a tax credit certificate? and will this certificate inform my new employer that I was on JSA in any way?

3) If I do have to go on job seeker's allowance, will anybody be able to find out in the future for any reasons upon researching me? For instance, if I were to get into politics later in my career would someone be able to dig that up? How could they do that?

Thank-you-so-much if you can help me with this asap.
WHY WON'T HMRC EVER PICK UP THE PHONE???
Cheers

This is an Irish site and your references to HMRC sound like you're based in the UK, you'll get better advice on a UK site.

And the Irish answer is that you send your P45 directly into Revenue, rather than give it to your new employer.

Ah ok thanks, how about number 3 though? that should be the same anywhere..

3) If I do have to go on job seeker's allowance, will anybody be able to find out in the future for any reasons upon researching me? For instance, if I were to get into politics later in my career would someone be able to dig that up? How could they do that?

Back