Designer for flyers/brochure

algar2

Hi all,

I was looking to see if anyone could recommend a good graphic designer, or where you could get one for a fair price.

I need to get flyers and brochures designed from time to time. I get them printed up from print24.ie, which is about 1/4 of the price of most of the print shops around dublin, the only problem is they dont offer design.

The printers around dublin offer design but will charge between €60 - €100 per hour for artwork, and will really take their time doing it.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Hi there,

I have a really good contact for you. She does really good freelance work as a graphic designer and is based in Dublin. If you like I can pm you the details.

Hi,

I know a good freelance designer I use on a regular basis for all my website clients. He is very methodical and always comes up with the goods.

I could drop you a PM with his detials if you like?

Try [broken link removed]

There is some great designers on here.

Just about the sitepoint website above, I would highly recommend that you get a designer another way, instead of using a site like that. As a designer myself it makes my blood boil seeing sites like that as it devalue the whole idea of design. Its ridiculous that trained qualified professionals should be made enter a 'competition' for jobs. Its a trend that has developed in the design world and it degrades the whole industry and wouldnt be tolerated in other sectors, imagine going round restaurants and asking them all to cook you a meal each and then you'l pay for the best! Its ridiculous!

Sorry about the rant there but to bring it back to the original question you might be better off finding a designer another way. There is no substitute for being able to meet someone face to face so that they thoroughly understand what you need, and also that they can give you their insight and bounce ideas of you. Also I'd query that motives and confidence of a designer who has to enter these kind of things for work. There are plenty of local talented designers out there who would supply what you need.

There have been a few instances where people have paid for copied material in those contests and had unpleasant consequences to deal with afterwards. Best to stick with recommendations you trust or people with good reputations.

I would recommend sitepoint. I've used it before for a logo competition and would use it again if I needed anything else done

There is no substitute though for building a relationship with a designer face to face. In my job I have numerous clients who arrive in to us to 'fix up' jobs that they get off these sites. The main problems we see are

1. The clients picks a logo on personal preference and often don't understand when the fonts or symbols look outdated or even tacky in most instances. If you work with a single designer they can take your feedback, work with you, tweak and refine a logo until you're happy, and create a fresh, eye catching design that personalised for you.

2. Half the 'good' logos on that site are ripped off from existing logos. We have had two instances where clients have run into copyright issues with logos bought from sites. A good designer with make sure your logo is unique.

3. The client often picks logos that are unsuitable for their target market. They don't realise the implications of how certain fonts appear and how their company will be perceived in the target market

4. If you do a logo competition you will generally attract a lower calibre of designer and they will be mostly guessing what you require. No decent designer is going to put material on those sites for 150 euro.

5. Just cause someone is good in one area won't mean they are capable of producing everything you need
. A good logo designer could be rubbish at brochures.

6. ease for yourself- design of print materials often involves last minute deadline and paniced rushed jobs, its part of the job. if a designer is with in driving distance of you, you can deliver any photos are anything you need by hand and sit down and go through it with them faster than emailing across timezones to people who mightnt reply in time.

Thats my problem with those sites. Your company's logo and branding is SO important. If your logo and printed material or website looks cheap, well then your company will look bad.

Designers are professionals with years of experience in how to make your company look the best in can. A good designer will sit down with you and give you a range on options based on what you think you need.

As someone on another website stated '

I would assume that you are a very professional businessman, therefore, I would like to ask the following:

1. How do/did you choose your accountant?
2. How do/did you choose your lawyer?

Will you/did you also get them through a competition, did you find them on a website, or will you get them "offshore". I am sure you have a very good accountant and lawyer/solicitor they may have been recommended. What makes them good? The know the ins and outs system. You trust them. You take time to build your relationship with them. They become an integral part of your business, in the same way as other professionals you work with.

I can't put it any better than that! Sorry for the long post

Try http://www.printing.ie , they do design and print. Maybe you could liase with them and work out from there. Just a suggestion though. I've printed all my flyers material and vouchers from them. They do brilliant job.

I wouldnt use print.ie for design. I rang them up and they told me that they charge $100 per hour. You could check out redlemon.ie. They are probably the most competitively prices design and print company.

I wouldnt use print.ie for design. I rang them up and they told me that they charge $100 per hour. You could check out redlemon.ie. They are probably the most competitively prices design and print company.

another recommendation
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=51366&page=2

here you talk about setting up a design company
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=49652

What did you call the design company you set up then?
and
Are you not better and more competitive than the above site your recommending?

Just about the sitepoint website above, I would highly recommend that you get a designer another way, instead of using a site like that. As a designer myself it makes my blood boil seeing sites like that as it devalue the whole idea of design. Its ridiculous that trained qualified professionals should be made enter a 'competition' for jobs. Its a trend that has developed in the design world and it degrades the whole industry and wouldnt be tolerated in other sectors, imagine going round restaurants and asking them all to cook you a meal each and then you'l pay for the best! Its ridiculous!

Sorry about the rant there but to bring it back to the original question you might be better off finding a designer another way. There is no substitute for being able to meet someone face to face so that they thoroughly understand what you need, and also that they can give you their insight and bounce ideas of you. Also I'd query that motives and confidence of a designer who has to enter these kind of things for work. There are plenty of local talented designers out there who would supply what you need.

haha thats gas. Thanks for the laugh

How about a design student? They usually have great ideas.

glad to brighten up your day;)

I'm putting this point of the argument across as i have worked as a designer for years and have seen too many people waste money getting designs done from some of the competition sites mentioned, only to have to completly redo them due to problems and quality issues.

I am not advocating that every business go out and spent thousands getting high class design. i understand that small businesses often don't have the budget or need to do that. What i'm trying to say is that its possible and often easier to get a good designer at a resonable price that you can talk to and meet face to face, and in doing so avoid a lot of the issues that arise from those 'competition sites'. Just my two cents.

As an aside Bassface. What do you do as a job? If the situations were reversed, would you enter one of these competitions in relation to your job?

Back