Depreciation on rental property expenses

IanC12

Hi,

This is a question that has been bothering me a lot.

I have a rental property and occasionally I have to replace a faulty item like an oven, microwave or dishwasher.

Do I put the whole lot through as repair/replace or do I depreciate it over 8 years?

RThese items once used for a year are really valueless as no one buys there unless there fraction like maybe 20% second hand.

What are your views or best advice...

I had to replaced a toilet, sink, and shower after 10 years, I used tilers, plumbers etc to do the job cost was 2000euro all in, do I depreciate all of it or claim as repair?

There are no capital allowances available in any event in fixtures like toilets, sinks and showers.

It makes sense generally to claim the cost of replacements as repair and maintenance expenditure.

I replaced a faulty water pump in an apartment in 2022. It cost €1000 for water pump and plumber's fee. Could I write 100% off the rental income for 2022 tax year?

Similarly I replaced a faulty shower in 2021. I think I had only written off 12.5% as I thought classed as white goods?

I replaced a faulty water pump in an apartment in 2022. It cost €1000 for water pump and plumber's fee. Could I write 100% off the rental income for 2022 tax year?
Yes. Why not? It's clearly an allowable repairs and maintenance expense.
Similarly I replaced a faulty shower in 2021. I think I had only written off 12.5% as I thought classed as white goods?
You should have claimed that too as a repairs and maintenance expense. A shower is a fixture and does not qualify as furniture and fittings for capital allowances proposes in the context of a letting.

If in doubt generally over stuff like this, consider getting a professional to complete your returns. There's no point whatsoever in paying any more tax than you're obliged to.

Back