Dentist Bills And Medical Card

J

JOHANNB

Hi

I Have A Medical Card And I Have Recently Had Dental Work. The Dentist Told Me There Was A Dispute On And They Would Charge Medical Card Holders. Is There Any Way To Claim This Money Back ?

Thanks

When you do this vBulletin converts the text to lower case with the first letter of each word capitalised Just Like This Which Makes It Hard To Read. Please make sure that your CAPS LOCK key is off when posting.

Did the dentist tell you before the treatment and you went ahead anyway or only afterwards and it came as an unpleasant surprise to you? I doubt that you can claim the money back either way but almost certainly not in the first situation and in the second you should probably complain to your dentist and/or SW or health board. If you pay tax then you can claim tax relief on qualifying dental expenses.

Thanks for that.

He asked me if I had PRSI and I said a yes and a medical card, then said that there was a dispute on and he would charge me.

Before the treatment and you agreed either implicitly by staying or explicitly by saying so? If so then you have no chance of getting anything back in my opinion.

Would The Hse Refund It If The Dentist Has A Dispute With Them ?

sorry about that, using a program that requires all caps in between.

thanks for the advise

Due to the failure of the HSE and Government to conclude a six and a half year review of the medical card dental scheme (DTSS), dentists are no longer in a position to provide the full range of treatment to their patients. At a national meeting, 92% of dentist voted to withdraw from the scheme until such a time that matters are resolved.

Depending on your treatment receieved and your qualification status re PRSI dental benefit, you may be elgibile for a reduced rate aginst your contributions. Ask your dentist for a D1 form or contact Dental Treatment section on 1890 400 400 ext. 4480 with your PPS number to hand.

If your dentist had previously taken you as a medical card patient and you were proceeding as a patient on this basis it could be argued that there was an implied agreement in place. He should have informed you of the fact that he was no longer accepting medical card patients prior to your treatment.

But my reading of the original poster's comments is that he did inform him of this fact.

Back