Other Dental Insurance

horusd

Had to get an emergency root canal yesterday ...€600 ...ouch. Dentist recommended VHI dental plan. The cost is approx €260. Anyone have any experience of this cover? Cover seems ok, but a bit pricey.

I have a dental plan but I am not so sure it is worth the money. You can only claim for a max back of 1000 euro. For the root canal, you have to be with them a year before it applies and they dont give you the full money back.

Also, they have reduced the entitlements this year due to the changes that the government brought in last year with PRSI.

Hardly seems worth it - for your treatment yesterday, you would have gotten back €200

Getting back half of a max of €1500 seems poor value

VHI have 2 dental plans as agent of DeCare Dental and these can be purchased even you do not have health insurance through
VHI although the price is usually 10% more expensive. Many of the health plans offered by VHI, Quinn & Aviva have money back for dental visits. Sometimes upto half but not aimed at expensive treatments like root canal.

By the way the two dental plans are different in the way the premiums are charged as they are risk rated which is not the case in the Irish health insurance market. Premiums for dental starter start at €80 for VHI and non VHI members for those upto 17 and are €160 for those over 50. The annual policy maximum is €750.

The dental plan starts at €101 for the VHI kids and €112 for non members up to €251 for VHI 50+ and €279 for non members.

There is no waiting period for investigative & preventative treatment, 3 months waiting period for basic treatment and 12 month waiting period for major treatment with a policy excess of €100.

No cover for orthodontics although Aviva give discounts of upto 20% in conjunction with Smiles.

Patrick

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the hospiital Saturday fund Marko witzman and thanks Patrick 4 the details. On balance, I don't see the VHI plan as worth the money. Might just investigate a set of old dentures! (tho I'm a bit young for that!).

Back