Dental Expenses

leesider29

I know once a year you are entitled to get your teeth cleaned and checked and it is paid by the state. My question is do you call the dentist and give them your pps no when you make your appointment so as you don't have to pay when you go or do you pay when you go and get reimbursed through tax credits??

Thought it was the first option but last year when I went I paid and didn't hear anything about getting reimbursed eventhough she asked for my pps.

Your dentist has to be on a panel that provides this treatment (dental benefit).
There is a form you need to fill in to apply for this:Form D1/D2.
There is information on what to do here.
I thought you had to paid the reduced (or no fee) at source, but I am not sure, as I'm not eligible for this treatment, so have never applied.
If you ring this number: +353 (1) 704 3000 they will be able to tell you for definite what should happen
Nicola

Over a few years my experience is that I have quoted my PPS number making the appointment, filled in the form when I arrive and then don't get charged if it is just a cleaning or pay the reduced fee for fillings etc. However a lot of friends (going to various different dentists) have complained that they are sent to the oral hygienist for the cleaning and told that it is a deep clean and that they have to pay the full fee because this is a better clean than the one covered by the PRSI. My last cleaning was with the oral hygienist and I was charged a reduced fee. So basically I think all dental practices operate the scheme differently but there is very few willing to give the 'free clean' anymore. To be honest I didn't notice any difference between the 'free clean' I used to get and the 'deep clean' I supposedly got the last time. By the way the reduced fee was €40, full fee was €70 but I have heard of people being charged up to €120 for the 'deep clean'.

maybe your friends have gum disease and hence the variation in fee?
deep clean is a misnomer............correct term is root planing and gingival curretage which is a completely different gum procedure that routine scaling and polish.
Each pertains to different gum conditions and hence different prsi treatment codes and treatment items.
120 for root planing and gingival curretage is reasonable.

Back