Dental Expenses

Stupid Boy

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right section, I'm sure the MOD's will move it if not... so here goes...

My girlfriend is getting braces in the coming weeks, she falls within the lower tax bracket whereas I am in a higher tax bracket, is it possible for me to pay for these so we can claim the higher refund?

Any comments welcome...

It appears that, from 2007, you can claim tax relief on expenses paid on behalf of anyone, not necessarily a relative.

[broken link removed]

Joe124 is correct. The payer gets the relief and no relationshiop requirement. So if you pay the bill and the work is "qualifying dental" then you can get the relie at your marginal rate of tax.

In the event of an audit of a MED1/2 claim would Revenue look for evidence that the payment actually came directly from the claimant and not from the patient who was then reimbursed by the claimant? Or does it matter? It would be difficult other than with cheque or card payments I guess? It just seems open to abuse - e.g. a 41% taxpayer claiming relief on behalf of MED1/2 expenditure by a 20% taxpayer even if the claimant never actually paid...

If the claimant never actually paid then that would, I believe, amount to tax evasion on the part of the claimant. Accordingly only genuine claims should be submitted.

I realise that but I was just wondering if and how Revenue look for evidence of such payments on behalf of others in the case of an audit? I suppose it's not the only Revenue scheme that depends on the honesty of taxpayers and may be open to abuse by some.

It is a difficult one. Say my daughter goes to a consultant. I go along and pay the fee by cheque. The receipt will usually only show her name, as the patient. I'd have the cheque stub as evidence that I paid, but what if I paid by cash? Same with MED1 reports done by pharmacists. They will print a family report, no details on who actually paid. I guess in actual family claims, the Revenue are not too worried. It's the "unrelated parties" type claims that might stand out if audited.

Back