Dell job cuts..wider implications

Re: Dell job cuts..wider imnplications

Dell job cuts..wider imnplications

have a major knockon effect
I'd consider the state of our education system to be a more important factor in this than some transient job losses. To think that we're considered an English speaking country and all?

10% worldwide and 450 jobs to go in Ireland.

Job cuts for all the companies with Dell as their main client. Dell already has a plant in Poland and yes while other companies move with them and some of them are already doing this, think of the further implications for the smaller comanies (employees) relying on Dell. Limerick is currently undergoing a big transformation. The impact will be hard.

As for the knowledge economy - Dell is considered an example of one such company. Suppose the gov. will just concentrate more on R&D!

A saddening part is that Dell employees found out along with everyone else by hearing it on the radio.

As for the knowledge economy - Dell is considered an example of one such company. Suppose the gov. will just concentrate more on R&D!
The Dell plant in Limerick is an assembly and logistics centre. They may as well be assembling custom order dinky cars. There were far more jobs supplying Dell 10 years ago.
The government’s investment in R&D is centred on 3rd level bodies and multinationals that manufacture in Ireland. For all the money spent it has had no real impact economically. A small number of Irish companies, mainly in the food and IT sector have enjoyed real benefit. We are a long way from developing a Nokia or a Philips. As things currently stand I would bet the farm that it will never happen.

Suppose the gov. will just concentrate more on R&D!

As someone who works in this area I can tell these jobs are not going to be the saviour of the Irish economy. The bulk of what is classified as "research" here is really just software testing. Work that can easily be done by graduates with no requirement for fourth level education. Indeed, I am aware of quite a few PhD. holders who consider their qualifications an actual hinderance when it comes to looking for a job here.

Even if the government does continue to pour money into the sector, the actual amount of job creation is low. I know of one research team in a university that received €25 million worth of grants but it lead to the creation of only ten new jobs.

Now how many jobs would €25 million worth of house building create?

The government has not found a way to use R&D funding to grow Irish manufacturing companies. The only exceptions are in the food industry. In hi-tech engineering (the sector that the USA, Japan and Germany grew their economies on) they have failed utterly. If the company is Dublin based, or anywhere east of the Shannon, then the levels of grant aid are so small that they are not worth the paperwork. Even in the BMW area the impact has been limited to say the least. R&D funding in this country is, in reality, a mechanism to use for additional 3rd level grants.

The government has not found a way to use R&D funding to grow Irish manufacturing companies. The only exceptions are in the food industry. In hi-tech engineering (the sector that the USA, Japan and Germany grew their economies on) they have failed utterly. If the company is Dublin based, or anywhere east of the Shannon, then the levels of grant aid are so small that they are not worth the paperwork. Even in the BMW area the impact has been limited to say the least. R&D funding in this country is, in reality, a mechanism to use for additional 3rd level grants.

I agree fully with this. Also in ireland the public service and government does not really employ many high tech/ engineering graduates. This is in contrast to countries like britain germany and USA which directly employ these graduates in areas like defence and state companies, this provides a pool of highly skilled expertise which have spawned new industries in these countries. In ireland you either stay in the poorly paid university sector or you emigrate. In many ways it is the same reason we have terrible planning and infrastructure it is our inability to plan ahead.

I agree fully with this. Also in ireland the public service and government does not really employ many high tech/ engineering graduates. This is in contrast to countries like britain germany and USA which directly employ these graduates in areas like defence and state companies, this provides a pool of highly skilled expertise which have spawned new industries in these countries. In ireland you either stay in the poorly paid university sector or you emigrate. In many ways it is the same reason we have terrible planning and infrastructure it is our inability to plan ahead.
That's an excellent point. I hadn't thought of it before.

If Dell is cutting 10% of it's world wide workforce but at the same time is opening a new plant in Poland surely that means a bigger proportion of the existing workforce must be let go in order to maintain a 10% reduction in overall headcount. As such, on a purely numbers basis, more than 450 jobs are at risk.

In reality all the jobs could be lost but only a 10% reduction in the combined Ireland/Poland (European production) operations would be achieved, which is the stated desire of the cuts.

Kinda like a "cost neutral" cut in working numbers if you like.

This thread is descending into useless speculation - do you people believe everything the media feeds you? Mods please close thread it is providing NOTHING worthwhile.

Dell is building a plant in Poland. They have also built more than one factory in USA. They will more than likely build more than one in South America too. Hey, watch out for India as well...and cross your fingers for China someday...this does not mean they will go closing all the first built factories necessarily...at least not in the immediate future.

All the Irish based polish workers are NOT lining up to return to LODZ to build Dell PCs - I hate to dissapoint you - they actually like it over here. The cut in wages they would take to return to Poland would also prevent them doing same.

10% of GLOBAL workforce over the next 12 months - how on earth media is able to translate this to 450 in Limerick right now. Please, relax and read the funnies or the sports section - the media just loves stirring up things like jobs markets and housing.

howitzer i would say your asessment of the 10% workforce reduction to be spot on
why would they need irish based polish workers, is there not enough polish based workers in poland

Sure - Sure - now you are saying that 450 jobs in Ireland wont go - you recon its more likely that all 4500 jobs will be gone. Yeah - that makes sense.

i cannot see them touching the jobs in the us after the bad publicity they received about the outsourcing to india fiasco plus they opened a new plant in the us recently (can't remember the state in question) that they received a major grant from that state .that state governor would not be very happy with that

Just to follow up on an old thread. Dell to cut 250 jobs from it's Cherrywood operations. These are mainly admin/support roles in one form or another. The production facilities are untouched but the spokeswoman refused to be drawn on further Irish jobs cuts.

I would see this as a stepping stone rather than an end in itself, but then again I'm a bit of an oul pesimist.

[broken link removed]

Just to follow up on an old thread. Dell to cut 250 jobs from it's Cherrywood operations. These are mainly admin/support roles in one form or another. The production facilities are untouched but the spokeswoman refused to be drawn on further Irish jobs cuts.

I would see this as a stepping stone rather than an end in itself, but then again I'm a bit of an oul pesimist.

[broken link removed]

well that goes against the grain a bit, the mantra was that it was always manufacturing that bears the brunt of competition, maybe it shows that the pressures on manufacturing might be easing and other areas which up to this were not as exposed to competitive pressures may now feel some of the pain

I work in Cherrywood and to say that it could have been handled better would be an understatement. The news is on the RTE.ie website from about 12:30 today and it gets announced on the floor at one. To a small minority it wasn't a surprise but to the majority who were made redundant it was. I would like to say that this will be the end of it but I sincerely doubt it.

The consumer/home user sales teams were moved India a few years ago, the transactional business sales teams were moved 6 months ago, the prefered accounts sales teams will be moved to Glasgow before the year end. If there are people on here that think the Lodz plant won't affect Limerick - dream on.

True story re Dell in Limk............Fellow on dole in Limk about eight years ago who was told by Labour Exchange to report for interview to Dell or face getting dole cut.
Dell was not his preferred employment option , to say the least, but what to do?
Dresses up , does a good interview and finally when asked about his own interests, he proceeded to tell them ,totally truthfully as it happened, about his very intense interest in the trade union movement and his activities in his previous workplace as employees' representative.He discussed the importance of employee representation for productivity reasons etc.

Result : Positive, No job with Dell!!!

I definitely find it pretty worrying that these are business sales jobs which are being moved. This is not manufacturing, nor is it admin and support. I work in sales in a major multinational and up till now have felt reasonable safe in hoping that customer facing sales jobs would hardly be moved elsewhere. Sangster - is this the case, did they move field sales jobs to Scotland?

I blame Bertie all the way. He's the one who won't make the hard (unpopular) decisions. Charlie McCreevy would and did and that's why he was shipped off to Europe. He's not in charge now, more's the pity.
Cowan would be better than Bertie, Pat and Enda would be worse.

Fully agree, one of Bertie’s 1st moves when in power was to cave in to the demands of the trade unions, allow them negotiate a few very favorable collective agreements during the early boom years (when lots of other folk were at the time distracted trying to buy, build, rent out & flog property) meant that he had the support of the unions but he failed to realise that the economic growth was not sustainable and he had set a dangerous precedent of unions expecting their future demands to be met.
At the same time a complete failure to budget and control the costs of numerous capital projects (luas, port tunnel etc etc) by the government (did any heads ever roll in the various government departments or councils when these shocking overcosts were exposed?)

Quite comical when you consider the leader of your country claims to be an accountant!!

I know this is not supposed to be a Bertie bashing thread but what the heck ! Others are having a go!

My view on " our greatest politician ever "

He has precided over successive governments that have sold our coutry down the swannee. What have we got to show for the Celtic Tiger years

Hundreds of thousands of crap quality houses with insulation standards that the rest of western europe are laughing at.

No infrastructure
No schools
No health system
Rising crime
No public transport
We are paying fines to europe for not meeting kyoto targets
We are granting licences to build the wrong type of gas power stations

The list goes on and on

I don't know if the other guys would have done better - but could they do worse ??!!

Please all you Bertie fans out there - spare us the speeches on how much has been spent in different areas etc - we can get that from Mary Harney, Brian Lenihan, Michael Martin and co any day of the week.

Lets poll Dell workers to see how many fans Bertie has lost this week

Apologies to all for the rant

Back