Delays in rolling out vaccine

I wonder if I could put my name down with all the hospitals and medical centers to say I'm available at immediate notice should they have a few auld vaccines going a begging. Might be worth a go.:p

The point I'm trying to make is that if they had been serious about giving *all* the remaining doses to frontline healthcare workers or members of other priority groups instead of the boss' family they could have found them even at short notice, given that this hospital is in the middle of a city of 1 million mostly unvaccinated people.

So in some respects it is arguable they would not have been wasted as they were not 'expected'...

I think they should have drawn the line at under 70s given the need for second dose in a limited time window.
Bumping someone up 1-2 levels is reasonable but not someone at bottom of levels.
Thats again fair , my view is the miniscule amount and it wasn't, from what we read premeditated.

I wonder if I could put my name down with all the hospitals and medical centers to say I'm available at immediate notice should they have a few auld vaccines going a begging. Might be worth a go.:p
Afraid not, this happened 4 days before the guidelines were issued. Give it a go though and please report back

So every member of front line staff including security, cleaners, porters, kitchen staff working in the hospital that day were vaccinated and they still had 16 left? Doubt it. Who has actually received the vaccine in that hospital? Why are maternity hospitals getting vaccines ahead of acute hospitals? Has there been huge exposure in maternity hospitals that I don't know about? There are ICU nurses and doctors from wards overrun with covid patients still waiting for a vaccination. Why are GP's getting vaccinated before them? There are over 6000 hospital staff out of work at the moment many of them simply because they were a close contact. How many GP's are currently out of work?

The idea that they couldn't find anyone from Group 1 or even Group 2 to vaccinate at short notice is nonsense.

Irish Times are reporting that 10 construction workers received the vaccine at Tralee Hospital.
the HSE need to take better control of the roll out. Issuing guidelines 2 - 3 weeks after the first people were vaccinated shows very poor planning.

this vaccine has limited lifespan ,i think 5 hours once opened ? a ambulance or garda car would cover a number of hospitals in a hour
i think when they were talking about the vaccine rollout while back they were actually discussing having additional people on standby should someone drop out

€60 per patient for the GP's and Pharmacists seems like an extraordinarily large amount of money for what can only be 5 minutes work but that aside they are talking about them administering 1.5 million vaccines over 6 months. That's 11,538 a day based on a 5 day week. There are 1500 community pharmacists, 4000 doctors working as GP's and 2000 GP practice nurses in Ireland. That's 1.5 vaccines given by each of them each day.
I presume that they can vaccinate more people than that so why are we only getting 1.5 million of the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccines over a 6 month period?

Do the "family" of those that received the vaccine live in or beside the hospitals in question?

It strikes me that they may have had to travel in from the suburbs to avail of the left over vaccine, and at short notice.

I am sure that there were hospitals nearer than the suburbs with front line staff that would have taken up the left over vaccines?

Looks to me as if it was planned in advance.

The level of armchair management and griping is crazy. A hospital administers 1,100 doses in a day, has 136 left over due to no-shows, uses 120 of them on available front line staff at short notice and with the final 16 uses them on unscheduled vaccinations at the last minute (of which 9 were over 60 anyway) and people are calling a premediated disgrace.

Meanwhile in Israel, a hospital uses similar left over vaccine on a pizza delivery guy who happened to be there and they are called out for being smart - "vaccines in arms not bins" was the headline.

Some people need to wind their neck in.

I am sure that there were hospitals nearer than the suburbs with front line staff that would have taken up the left over vaccines?

The problem you have then is who would come in to cover the staff who leave their posts to go get a vaccine in another hospital?

The hospital where my wife works have been using staff WhatsApp groups and social media appealing to off-duty staff in the area to come in when they expect to have doses remaining.

@Purple yes the doctors and pharmacy getting a huge amount for giving the vaccine, 30euros to inject it yet oxford and astra zzenaca are producing it at cost, at most a few euros cost of vaccine. They put the lions share of work in to get it to this stage in record time, employing some of the best expertise working round the clock. If "big pharma " is not looking to profit surely small pharma and doctors can do the same. The government with former doctors like Leo are far too cozy with the medical professionals and HSE. sure we already had the scandal of Leo leaking confidential consultant contract to his mate

Meanwhile in Israel, a hospital uses similar left over vaccine on a pizza delivery guy who happened to be there and they are called out for being smart - "vaccines in arms not bins" was the headline.
Pizza delivery guy is not the same as the hospital director's children. Can't you see the conflict of interest here and how it affects public perceptions?

Pizza delivery guy is not the same as the hospital director's children. Can't you see the conflict of interest here and how it affects public perceptions?

I see the 99.42% of vaccines that went as planned. And that there weren't vaccines dumped as happened elsewhere. And it was 2 children (if I recall) - not 16. I also see how it affects you. If you want to flame the entire thing for 2 out of 1,200 cases, then fine - knock youself out.

If "big pharma " is not looking to profit...

AZ have offered to provide the vaccine at cost to low or middle income countries. It also received billions in state funding the development, the US deal that involved significant early funding of development and trial costs with no guarantee of a return has netted them 300k doses at ~$4 per dose, development and distribution costs are under $3 per dose.

@Purple yes the doctors and pharmacy getting a huge amount for giving the vaccine, 30euros to inject it yet oxford and astra zzenaca are producing it at cost, at most a few euros cost of vaccine. They put the lions share of work in to get it to this stage in record time, employing some of the best expertise working round the clock. If "big pharma " is not looking to profit surely small pharma and doctors can do the same. The government with former doctors like Leo are far too cozy with the medical professionals and HSE. sure we already had the scandal of Leo leaking confidential consultant contract to his mate
Don't forget about the massive payment they get for the over 70's GP card. The HSE requested that the payment per patient be set at €158 but they got €308. They also get a pension contribution which is linked to the gross amount they get from the State for all GMS payments.

The level of armchair management and griping is crazy. A hospital administers 1,100 doses in a day, has 136 left over due to no-shows, uses 120 of them on available front line staff at short notice and with the final 16 uses them on unscheduled vaccinations at the last minute (of which 9 were over 60 anyway) and people are calling a premediated disgrace.

Some people need to wind their neck in.

Sorry that is just ridiculous. People are allowed ask questions. We are like the Ireland of old telling people to wind their neck in when there dare to question authority or so called experts. Nobody has an issue with using the extra doses on anyone. People have an issue if it is believed that family members of hospital management are getting it ahead of frontline staff or any other priority group. Them saying 'Sure we tried to find frontline staff' might be good enough for you but it isn't for some of us. I want to know what did to make sure they tried to give it to frontline staff before deciding to vaccinate the Masters Daughter. I want to know why guidelines weren't issued on day one about extra doses considering the man on the barstool understood the limited lifespan of these vaccines and there were bound to be times when people missed appointments for what ever reason. Yet nobody thought about a standby list?? Are we really to believe that those extra doses could not have gone to a patient or a frontline staff member in the Coombe on that day. No ambulance driver was available on short notice? No Guard? No GP in the locality? No Cleaner? No Porter?

We are entitled to ask why was the IT system not in place before this vaccination programm kicked off? We are entitled to ask why the rollout seems to be so unbalanced between hospital groups. Why are private hospitals with no covid patients getting vaccines ahead of acute public hospitals. Why are certain types of staff getting it in some hospitals and not in others? Why did Maternity hospitals seem to have ended up with excess stock?(The extra doses were not exactly a surprise one day). Why are GP's who are not seeing anyone these days getting it ahead of acute hospital doctors and nurses? Why did nurses from Covid wards in Tipperary have to appeal for vaccines on social media? Should they wind their neck in as well?

It seems like now if anyone questions anything about the vaccination programme, they are committing treason. Yes they seem to be making progress and yes I am sure a lot of good people are working very hard on this but I have no interest waiting a month to find that we have wasted time on not doing things right before some big Prime Time Investigation reveals all in our typical Irish way. HSE Management and Politicans are well paid big boys. They should be able to handle questions being asked.

In other news 94k vaccines were administered up to Sunday evening and its expected that 140k will be vaccinated by next Sunday.
There appears to be a steady increase weekly and with more vaccination avenues and vaccines becoming available we should see these figures increasing further over the next month or so.

In other news 94k vaccines were administered up to Sunday evening and its expected that 140k will be vaccinated by next Sunday.
There appears to be a steady increase weekly and with more vaccination avenues and vaccines becoming available we should see these figures increasing further over the next month or so.
If we want 80% of the population vaccinated by July we need to administer 290,000 a week.

Back