Delays in rolling out vaccine

On a lighter note... If they were to put the vaccine into beer and open up the pubs everyone would get enough doses to be cured in weeks ;)

How do you plan for something you don't have or may never have. The vaccine, well Pfizers and Biontech they didn't even know a few months ago.
The US and Israel bought large quantities of vaccines plus options to buy more from multiple producers not knowing which one will be working and when. The EU was sleeping though meanwhile.

Not surprised to see many countries doing better than Ireland...

Last edited:
Making simple comparisons with other countries can be deceptive. Israel is in the middle of an election campaign and so Netanyahu will make whatever promise he needs to make. At the height of the pandemic in late September, Israel was getting close to 7,000 new covid cases per day. Even now it's getting over 3,000 per day and climbing. So there is enormous pressure on Netanyahu to get the vaccinations done asap. He's the one who has claimed that they'll get 25% of the population vaccinated by the end of January and he'll throw all caution to the wind to make that happen. However, I've no doubt that Israel will vaccinate at a faster rate that us. Israel has a population of 9 million in a country that's less than one third the size of RoI and 93% are urban (RoI is 63% urban) so getting the vaccine distributed to more people in less time is much more likely.
I'd prefer safety over speed.
Israel was preparing for that vaccination campaign way before the newest round of elections came around - no connection here
Also they bought doses of vaccines well in advance from multiple companies and were prepared to pay more for that privilege.

I also do not believe that Israel has thrown all caution to the wind. That statement is completely baseless. They use the same vaccine as Ireland.
Ireland is not cautious - just incompetent.

I have posted above a chart which compares vaccinations campaigns in different countries - Romania has an Urbanization percentage of 54% , a much wider territory to cover and still doing better than Ireland - similar for many other countries...

Ireland received around 10.000 doses - but as per 31.12.2020 only 1800 doses were administered.

Last edited:
Newstalk pat kenny with Luke O’Neill discussing Israeli success
I mentioned previously
Luke O'N also made the very valid point that Israel has a superb education system and a scientifically literate, clued-in and attentive population holding its officials to account. Their health officials wouldn't get away with lame excuses such as the HSE's favourite nonsensical claim that "rushing" the vaccine would be unsafe.

Luke O'N also made the very valid point that Israel has a superb education system and a scientifically literate, clued-in and attentive population holding its officials to account. Their health officials wouldn't get away with lame excuses such as the HSE's favourite nonsensical claim that "rushing" the vaccine would be unsafe.
Israel also had a nationally identity card, a massive military infrastructure and much better IT integration in every aspect of its Public administration.
People here don't want a national identity card or anything like that, which is fair enough, but it would make national systems like this much easier to administer. The problem isn't jabbing people. The problem is making sure everyone has been jabbed.

People here don't want a national identity card or anything like that

It's interesting isn't it, because the likes of Instagram and Tesco hold vast amounts of these objectors' data. And they provide it willingly!

It's interesting isn't it, because the likes of Instagram and Tesco hold vast amounts of these objectors' data. And they provide it willingly!
Yep. If you aren't paying for something (social media) then you are the product, not the customer.

The problem is making sure everyone has been jabbed.
No, not at this early stage where virtually nobody has been vaccinated yet. At this point the challenge is getting vaccines into willing and readily available arms as fast as possible, not finding arms. Vaccinating hard-to-reach/reluctant/undocumented parts of the population will become a challenge during later stages but that's a long way off. For now they just need to get the process started.

No, not at this early stage where virtually nobody has been vaccinated yet. At this point the challenge is getting vaccines into willing and readily available arms as fast as possible, not finding arms. Vaccinating hard-to-reach/reluctant/undocumented parts of the population will become a challenge during later stages but that's a long way off. For now they just need to get the process started.
No, if they don't have a system in place at the start it will quickly turn into a complete mess.

No, if they don't have a system in place at the start it will quickly turn into a complete mess.
You're jumping the gun again Purple. The HSE must and will have a system in place to administer the Covid vaccines to all. Can anybody supply a source confirming that there is no system in place? Or are you just making it up?

You're jumping the gun again Purple. The HSE must and will have a system in place to administer the Covid vaccines to all. Can anybody supply a source confirming that there is no system in place? Or are you just making it up?
From the

Our response to this challenge is underpinned by a range of proven capabilities already in place in the HSE, the DoH, and across the wider public sector, in implementing safe vaccination programmes for the public.
These include: > Highly experienced teams in the HSE’s National Immunisation Office (NIO) and Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) as well as in at the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA)
> A reliable and trusted National Cold Chain solution, which has distributed all vaccines on behalf of the HSE as part of the National Immunisation Programme over the last fifteen years
> Qualified and trained healthcare workers who will administer the vaccine, including hospital doctors, community medical officers, nurses, GPs and pharmacists
> Experience in mobilising significant operations and processes for previous mass immunisation campaigns, and for swabbing, testing and tracing as part of our COVID-19 response.

These tried and trusted delivery mechanisms will be augmented by enhanced structures and processes to ensure the safe and efficient administration of vaccinations at a large scale. These include:
> New settings such as Mass Vaccination Centres, developed following learnings from the early stages of the management of the pandemic
> ICT systems to enable the planning and scheduling of vaccinations, and also to support the monitoring and evaluation of the success and effectiveness of the vaccination programme

If the IT infrastructure isn't in place at the start then it will turn into a cluster... a mess.
Considering that the HSE has no such infrastructure in place at the moment and many hospitals can't talk to each other electronically (they have different patient filing and data systems) why do you think that this is already in place? The Strategy was published on the 11th of December. Do you think they resolved these issues since then?

I hope we didnt wait for vaccine to be submitted for final approval before starting on the IT programme to support its rollout.

Last edited:
RTÉ are reporting that up to 11000 in NI people will receive a vaccination this week but there is no mention of what ROI will achieve this week..
I feel there should now be a huge focus here updating us on vaccinations completed and vaccinations intended on a weekly basis instead of simply lazily headlining the new cases day after day after day.. we know the virus is out of control but what we really need and require to get us through these dark months is to be informed on what we are doing about it.

Last edited:
We constantly hear "what we are going to do". Everything is next week.

Some nursing homes are only starting their vaccinations on Thursday the 7th January. I think we got the vaccines on the 26th December.

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly said it is planned that all those working and living in Ireland's 580 nursing homes - around 70,000 people - will receive their first Covid-19 vaccine dose by the end of this month.

Meanwhile Israel vaccinated yesterday alone 121,114 people.

Meanwhile Israel vaccinated yesterday alone 121,114 people.
I note Merowig admitted going abroad for 3 weeks holiday in August although government guidelines suggested non travel. He also refused to participate in the pandemic "panic" he said was created in the press here. Now he is informing us of what is happening in Israel. He even posted a chart on the amount of people other countries were vaccinating too. He supported the reduction to Level 3 from Level 5 on 1st December when infections at 200 per day were considered too high (Yesterday 6000+infections were reported). Now he is trying to dictate what the HSE should or should not do. We live in an age of litigation and I believe the HSE is going about the vaccinating in a caring and correct way. This is something they must do and not sacrifice speed for acccuracy.

Merowig is entitled to his opinions and I hope he keeps contributing here. But, if he were an officer in the trenches and me an ordinary soldier, I'd be in fear of my life as he'd send me over the top while he remains swigging grog back at the officers mess dictating strategy in which he is not participating. A relatively small amount of the Pfizer vaccine was made available to us on 26th December. There is an ongoing plan in place for widescale distribution of the available vaccines. It's a serious anti-pandemic vaccine that being rolled out not a packet of Smarties or Chocolate Buttons.

We are not one full week into 2021 yet. I don't care how many are vaccinated in Haifa. I don't care how fast or slow they are doing it. I am confident that the HSE will get this vaccination right and I bet targets are achieved ahead of time. Ireland has a long way to go but we'll get there even if we must take the Old Bog Road.

Back