Decayed Fencing between neighbour but refusal to replace

Thanks DiectDevil and Early Riser for filurther replies. I think I am going to have my solicitor correspond with them. The nastiness and harassment only stopped the last time when my solicitor wrote to them and reminded them if they didn't stop their carry on, we would be taking them to Court and warning them that they might not like the adverse publicity. Ideally a wall would be great buy Ith8nk the foundations in my back garden might be difficult to dig for the wall as tge houses are built into a hill there is just rock underneath. The houses were built by McInerney 25 years ago. The fences in the back gardens were put in by the McInerney. I am not sure whether that makes the fence a boundary or party structure.

When your solicitor reviews this see if the contract actually specifies a definition of what constitutes the property being sold/purchased.
The fact that McInerneys put in the fences probably does not create any automatic presumption of status i.e. party or boundary.

I have a holiday home that I will retire to in about 3 years time. The neighbours, both professionals, have always been extremely difficult. They let their children run into my garden, trample on my plants, break windows, not once, but several times. I asked them numerous times to get their children to stop, but they didn't.

When I started spending more time there, they seemed to get annoyed. I think they never thought I would actually be moving there and that they would have the run of both my back and front garden for the longer term. The male of the couple became threatening and abusive - accosting me when I was going to the bin at the end of the drive - saying no one liked me and they wanted me out of the estate. I don't know anyone at all in the estate, bar them as they are attached to my house. I had to get a solicitor involved, who thought it was bizarre for a member of the professions to behave like this - the solicitor thought my neighbour - the male of the couple was 'unhinged.' Eventually I had to get CCTV in for them to stop. I put up hedging in my front garden.
Cut your losses. Get the hell out.

Today it’s the fence. Tomorrow it’ll be something else.

It’s no way to spend retirement. It should be enjoyed, not endured.

Back