Debit card compromised. Good service from AIB

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Just got a request to confirm a payment on my debit card from AIB.

I declined
I froze my card.

Rang AIB and they answered fairly promptly.

One transaction for £80 went through and won't be reversed until their fraud team investigates.
One one cent transaction tried yesterday (But it's not on my statement?)
One Amazon account opened but nothing done.

All transactions were online so my pin is not compromised.

AIB will reissue the debit card with the same pin - 5 working days.

I have transferred money to my Revolut card and will withdraw cash from my AIB branch tomorrow.

Brendan

Last edited:
So the new debit card arrived in today's post.

I generally set up Direct Debits on my bank account so they have not been impacted.

But how would I know if I have set up a recurring payment on my debit card - other than waiting for someone to tell me it's bounced?

Are they online anywhere?

Brendan

Interesting question. I'm not sure that recurring card payments are listed anywhere on most banks' online banking systems.
Have you asked AIB if they can tell you if there are any active recurring payments associated with your (new) card?

Is this of any use?
AIB said it had streamlined its cancellation service for what it called recurring transactions associated with debit or credit cards. It can now take instructions directly from customers and stop the transactions. "Previously, customers had to provide evidence that they had attempted to cancel a recurring transaction directly with the merchant but were continuing to be charged," the bank said. This facility is available on credit and debit cards but not for wider current account direct debits.

Thanks

I called AIB before I saw your response Red.

They said I would have to go through my statements. I asked if there was a code and they said VDP Debit Pos - but that is the same for all of them.

Good point on the toll. I will check that. I am not sure how it's paid.

Brendan

How did the fraud occur ? How did one transaction get through ?

Don't know but they tried internet connections because they did not have my pin. But they did have the three digit number on the back.

I asked why one transaction went through and they told me that they don't ask for confirmation of every transaction.

But it has been refunded to my account today.
Brendan

On a similar note, that is why I scratch out the CVV on the back of all my cards and record them elsewhere. If someone steals/I lose the card, they don't have the CVV and therefore it is harder to use it for a web transaction (before I can freeze the card).

They said I would have to go through my statements. I asked if there was a code and they said VDP Debit Pos - but that is the same for all of them.
You'll get an email if the automatic update doesn't happen. Personally I've been using PayPal for subscriptions like Netflix. So I just have to update card in 1 place to switch the bulk of my payments.

But they did have the three digit number on the back.
It's possible it was blunt force rather than your card being compromised. Fraudsters run algorithms continuously to identify valid card numbers.
A 1c / 1 euro transaction followed by a larger one has been a red flag on fraud detection for years. Similarly Amazon linking does a validation without posting a transaction.

You'll get an email if the automatic update doesn't happen. Personally I've been using PayPal for subscriptions like Netflix. So I just have to update card in 1 place to switch the bulk of my payments.

It's possible it was blunt force rather than your card being compromised. Fraudsters run algorithms continuously to identify valid card numbers.
A 1c / 1 euro transaction followed by a larger one has been a red flag on fraud detection for years. Similarly Amazon linking does a validation without posting a transaction.
I had one of those transaction sequences last year. The second one was still relatively small (can't remember exactly but about €25 -or $ more actually as it was a US transaction)). I got a text from BOI to contact them if it was not me (which it wasn't). I have no idea how they got the details. Anyway all sorted out quickly when I called BOI.

So I went through my bank statements and I had about 7 monthly VDPs on my credit card - the likes of Free Now, Revolut and the Irish Times.
I have updated them all one by one.

I have a few more on annual renewal, which I will update when they are due to be renewed.

Why do they insist on debit cards or credit cards for renewal? Why not direct debits into the bank account so that if the card is compromised, I wouldn't have to do this work.

Brendan

On a similar note, that is why I scratch out the CVV on the back of all my cards and record them elsewhere. If someone steals/I lose the card, they don't have the CVV and therefore it is harder to use it for a web transaction (before I can freeze the card).
That’s quite smart actually.

AIB is the only card I have that has the CVV on the card. Two of my cards have revolving CVV codes in the app.

That's very clever, love it.

As regards the thread title. You seem to have had what a normal person would consider to be proper service from your bank. Or from any service provider. And I'd imagine this is the one area they are very good at is because sometimes the fraud costs them.

Back