Dealing with debts/arrears (was a query about TV/broadband!)

scully

While this thread originally started with a cutting costs on TV/broadband query it eventually dovetailed with another thread from Scully more to do with managing debt etc. As such I have merged the two threads and moved it to the Banking, Borrowing and Credit Cards forum. If you read down past the initial discussion about TV/broadband packages you will eventually find the additional discussion about debts issues etc. starting with a query about the likelyhood of new SSIA like schemes being introduced at ay stage. Hope that all makes sense! ClubMan.

Were tyring to cut costs at home with the intention of having more money to put into a credit union every week.

We have Chorus Digital which is costing us 60 a month. We want to take digital out, as we would prefer to pay 60 if we had sky, but thats not an option where we are renting.

Our 2monthly eircom bill is around 230 euros. With 90 of that on broadband, 3? for line rental, plus call charges and vat.
When we got in chorus digital we were supposed to change to them for telephone charges, but it never happened, and continued to get billed by eircom. A month and a half ago, we arranged a sign up with smart telecom, but again have been billed by eircom, which was our most expensive to date.

Is there a way that we can keep broadband and get rid of the phone. Do we still need to have the line etc
Or do you think keeping everything, but use calling cards instead. Our most expensive part of the bill is on mobile phones, i dont want to get them barred because in need of emergencys.
Alot of phone offers are not giving us a good rate on mobiles but great rates on everything else.

ESB works out at over 100 every 2 months.

Any help on trying to cut out these costs. We need broadband, so even going to a cheaper provider is ok.

Re: Cutting Costs

maybe [broken link removed] might be an option for you. 73 euro per month for braodband, 22 tv channels and phone line (I think phone line runs over the web rather than a physical phone line like eircom, but I am not sure on that).

There are a few wireless broadband options you could go for to.

thanks for that,

im in limerick, so the magnet offer could not apply to me.

Does wireless broadband, mean no telephone lines

yes, wireless means no phone lines. If you want broadband without using the phone line you have a few options. You can go for wireless broadband, or cable broadband ( I have NTL Cable broadband, does Chorus offer broadband over its cable?)

There a few posts about this in this site, try searching for "wireless broadband".

The only thing is some wireless broadband options are pricey. But with cancelling your Eircom line and going for a good priced wireless or cable broadband should save you money.

I found this site http://www.broadband.gov.ie/ uselful. There are some links on teh bottom left to find "broadband options in your area" etc.

magnet.ie is available in Limerick too according to the site.

UTV Broadband requires a phone line, but all local/national/GB calls are free. Cost is standard line rental + €29.99 broadband charge per month. Should work out cheaper than Eircom for what is essentially the same package.

Metro broadband ([broken link removed]) from Digiweb is available in Limerick and does not require a phone line (i.e. is wireless).

hmmmm

has anyone used or heard of these guys [broken link removed]

scully said:
hmmmm

They are fairly new but havnt heard any negative news on them. I was going to take up the 35eurp per month offer but I already had NTL so went with that.

Its a good deal that one for 35euro per month (42.35 after VAT). The broadband alone at 3MB is faster than Smart Telecom 2MB. NTLs equivalent 3MB is 45 euro so this deal is the best of the lot.

scully said:
hmmmm

I've used Digiweb for some of their other services and have had nothing but problems with them.

They've got their Government broadband contracts now so the regular consumer doesn't appear to matter as much to them any more.

Pretty poor customer service was the main problem.

had a look at a few.
That metro broadband looks good.
Irish Broadband is doing a good deal for Wirless Broadband for 48 inc vat

If you check out www.boards.ie the feedback on Irish Broadband isn't great. A lot depends on your line of site to an antenna I think.

Is there Any other SSIA type products coming?

Since I missed the SSIA product and It was too late to join it, I was wondering if they would do this again or a product similiar.

Re: Is there Any other SSIA type products coming?

I very much doubt it but who knows...? Are you availing of pension contribution tax benefits?

no nothing like that.

i wanted to wait until i was married and settled in a house before i start knowing finance wise how much i could put towards a pension.

Tax benefits? you mean rent releif etc?

No I meant pension tax relief but if you are concentrating on buying a house first then forget about the pension for now (other than taking advantage of any employer contributions if applicable). Obviously you should be claiming any tax credits and reliefs available to you. See this thread for example. It is very unlikely that anything like the SSIA scheme will come along again under the prevailing economic conditions. It was a great deal for savers who availed of it but many commentators and participants (including myself) feel that it was a ridiculous scheme for the Government to bring in.

I have read that thread. But the only thing that applies to me is that i wasnt claiming rent relief.

i dont think PRSI is been deducted from me. I dont even get a payslip. Im back from been on holiday, and he cant tell me if im due wages today for the week i worked before going away. I know im definetely entitled to them as i get paid on a wednesday for the previous week worked. So when i went on hols i got eventual got my holiday pay that was 1 weeks wage and 3 holiday pay.
he said he will look at his calendar. These are the things i have to put up with. Im the only employee he has got. Its like i have to do the work for him, and he doubts my opinions etc.

scully said:
i dont think PRSI is been deducted from me. I dont even get a payslip. Im back from been on holiday, and he cant tell me if im due wages today for the week i worked before going away. I know im definetely entitled to them as i get paid on a wednesday for the previous week worked. So when i went on hols i got eventual got my holiday pay that was 1 weeks wage and 3 holiday pay.
he said he will look at his calendar. These are the things i have to put up with. Im the only employee he has got. Its like i have to do the work for him, and he doubts my opinions etc.
Maybe you are not liable for PRSI due to you being on low wages or something? What about tax? What are your net and gross income figures (per week, month or year)? You can at least estimate your liabilities and expected net income using [broken link removed]. You have a legal entitlement to payslips (and P60s etc.) so if you are having problems with these you should sort it out immediately and contact the DETE Employment Rights section and/or Revenue as a matter of urgency. It is your responsibility to make sure that your tax affairs are kept up to date although your employer obviously also has obligations in this context too. Every employee needs to get payslips, P60s statements of tax credits etc. and double check their figures because mistakes can be made (by the employer and Revenue). Perhaps you should be looking for a new job with a more reputable/dependable employer?

Back