David McWilliams credibility

shnaek

I've been a fan of McWilliams in the past, and I used to agree with a lot of what he said, but these days I wonder. Recently enough he was suggesting that we should do like Greece and give the EU the two fingers. But that doesn't seem to be working out too well for Greece, as you can see almost daily on Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS...ters/businessNews+(News+/+US+/+Business+News)

That sort of publicity every day would not have done Ireland much good.

McWilliams has also lauded Iceland for their attitude, but I'm not seeing how Iceland is in that great a position myself. What do ye think? Is McWilliams losing it?

He is a decent economist. Problem is that he wants to be a celebrity economist. (seems like most of them do to be honest)

Newstalk has never been the same since he was given the boot, I dont even lissen to it now!

Was he involved in the bank guarantee or suggest it to government in Sep 2008?

Newstalk has never been the same since he was given the boot, I dont even lissen to it now.

Well the fact that their key people are an aggressive empty head from TV3 and an bombastic opinionated pseudo-liberal former rugby player are a bigger problem for me.

He is the Katie Price of Economics - insufferable in the extreme. Oh and a stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day.

he lost any bit of respect I had for him when he told us all about Lenihan calling up to his house . . If anything I thought it showed class on Lenihan's part to actually get another view outside of his own, not very FF like is it! But that very admission categorically cemented his status as simply a publicity hound.

That aside, I think he just says things for shock factor these days . . We should leave the euro was one of them, with no credible SWOT analysis.

He is, as one poster put it, simply a media "lady of the night" . .

He wanted to let the irish diaspora back into Ireland. That would add about i million to our dole queues as we would only get the poor ones. The rich ones can set up buisnesses here anyway if they want.

He is the Katie Price of Economics - insufferable in the extreme. Oh and a stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day.
Putting it mildly!

He is, as one poster put it, simply a media "lady of the night" . .
+1.
Fiscal soothsayers by their nature prostitute their hard won economist values/respect when they need to feed their egos/bank balances with daring headlines. Think of how weather forecasters would veer offline if they had to produce tabloid type forecasts.

McWilliams is on Newstalk at the moment. Where did he pickup his new form of speaking, pausing every few seconds. Is it a case of engage brain before opening mouth!

Oh god please don't compare Obama with David McWilliams. When I saw McWilliams on the Late Late Show a while ago it was even more pronounced, it was over practised and patronising as if he was trying to make himself understood to idiots.

He has already sold out to the masses.

Just look at his TV shows. They are all style over substance. Clever editing, flashy graphics, shots out of focus, flying him around the world so he can do a 10sec piece to camera etc etc.

In fact I used to like him but after his last documentary I emailed him and told him his show was practically unwatchable due to how it was presented. His answer? He said it has to be done that way to appeal to the public.

In other words, I have dumbed it down, and padded out a 15min programme to 1hr to keep the idiots happy.

Who owns Reuters?? The same people who will lose out on their crooked banking scheme which has the world enslaved maybe.
Imagine every country in the EU gave the two fingers to their National Debt. Carte Blanche??
But then all the useless jobs in the Finance Industry will be gone. Boo hoo

Who owns Reuters?? The same people who will lose out on their crooked banking scheme which has the world enslaved maybe.
Imagine every country in the EU gave the two fingers to their National Debt. Carte Blanche??
But then all the useless jobs in the Finance Industry will be gone. Boo hoo

The Thompson Group? :confused:

Imagine. And yes all that would happen is that all the people in the financial industry would lose their jobs. :rolleyes:

Mr McWilliams is very good for Mr McWilliams. It is the same with Joe 'Man-of-the-People'Duffy etc etc

These people make a fortune on the misery of others. They are talented hypocrites and end up laughing all the way to the bank.

Mr McWilliams is very good for Mr McWilliams. It is the same with Joe 'Man-of-the-People'Duffy etc etc

These people make a fortune on the misery of others. They are talented hypocrites and end up laughing all the way to the bank.

Ah, c'mon, he's not as bad as Joe Duffy!

I actually find him OK. Granted there's a lot of emphasis on his presentation skills and style. He generally raises good points in my opinion and gets you thinking. He's also able to convey (the normally boring subject of macroeconomics) to the masses well, which I think is a good skill.

Back