Data Access Request

Onceagain

I recently requested a data access request for my mortgage. Several parts of the documentation has been marked over with a black marker, so it can't be read.
My understanding was you were not allowed to change or delete any information, that the consumer could request that items be removed or amended if they were incorrect.
Is this normal practice?

I recently requested a data access request for my mortgage. Several parts of the documentation has been marked over with a black marker, so it can't be read.
My understanding was you were not allowed to change or delete any information, that the consumer could request that items be removed or amended if they were incorrect.
Is this normal practice?
Yes, usually it refers to the personal information of other people apart from yourself, even your spouse/partner. It may also be names of staff. You have a right of correction, amendment or erasure if information relating to you is inaccurate or misleading.

Why do they redact names of staff!? In most cases you know who you were dealing with anyway - so why mark out the staff names?!

Why do they redact names of staff!? In most cases you know who you were dealing with anyway - so why mark out the staff names?!
That can depend on the status or relationship with those staff. If it's a letter about arrears, repossession etc, staff might be uncomfortable about their names being released. Often, it may be overenthusiastic application of data protection rules.

Back