Cut the dole to cut higher tax rates

No I dont get your point. You want to de-regulate the regulators?
I think the point is that having an incompetent Regulator and Central Bank and a Department of Finance which was not fit for purpose does not equal deregulation.

I think its a good idea. But I think you are deluded if you think it wont cost money. The notion that 'highly regarded' teachers will offer up six weeks holidays for free is a nonsense. Dont you watch the news?
And what will all the other less regarded teachers do? Go on holidays?
By the way, when you have your Skype sessions, do you do them when you are on holidays?

Why should the teachers be off all summer? Why can't they work the full year like everyone else and upskill during the times the schools are closed? That's my point and it wouldn't cost anything extra.

Last edited:
I did. Plenty. Far outweighing complaints about punctuality. In fact if you read any social media about the recent Bus/Luas strikes, the prominent anti-striker complaint was about fares increasing.

People might complain about the prices for sure, but with the Leap card and tax saver options commuting by car is probably more expensive.

No I dont get your point. You want to de-regulate the regulators?

My point is that the regulator & Dept of Finance didn't do their job. It's a failure by those in government (politicians and civil servants).

Its pity that you are not. You really do believe it when it says free-market competition on the tin that it must be so.
Its a sector dressed up as a free-market with 'competitors', fuzzy warm advertising, 'exclusive discounts' (to 'new customers') and shiny logo's and marketing.
Behind it all is the Wizard of Oz in the form of the regulator determing maximum and minimum pricing to elicit profit for shareholders. Controlled by executive boardrooms who invariably will slice and dice the profits disproportionately in their own favour.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's my opinion that a few phone calls once a year is getting you a better deal than if you had only one provider.

after all that no reason shown why we should cut the dole and give it to the people who have prices high tax into there pay by there employer they would need to take a pay cut taxes on lower will drive wages up on employers ,

Behind it all is the Wizard of Oz in the form of the regulator determing maximum and minimum pricing to elicit profit for shareholders. Controlled by executive boardrooms who invariably will slice and dice the profits disproportionately in their own favour.

Source please? Also, the biggest recipient of funds is the ESB and Ervia, so the profits go back to the government. Why not just reduce the standing charges to these "companies"?

after all that no reason shown why we should cut the dole and give it to the people who have prices high tax into there pay by there employer they would need to take a pay cut taxes on lower will drive wages up on employers ,

I would need a C compiler to parse that sentence!!

Are you saying the regulator is in the pocket of the companies within the sector?
If so then how do the trade union officials on the broad of the ESB allow that to happen?

I play Sudoku but I'm rubbish at this kind of puzzle... I give up; what does it mean?

Why should the teachers be off all summer? Why can't they work the full year like everyone else and upskill during the times the schools are closed? That's my point and it wouldn't cost anything extra.

Im not saying they should be off all summer. Im saying to get them to work an extra six weeks you will have to pay them. That costs money.

I have never heard of anyone who didn't take the bus or train do so because it was too expensive. Actually, I did years ago, before the Cork-Dublin motorway was completed and the trains were very expensive (because they could be).

People might complain about the prices for sure

So you have heard of people complaining about prices.

My point is that the regulator & Dept of Finance didn't do their job. It's a failure by those in government (politicians and civil servants).

Yes, so what? De-regulate the regulators?

'm not saying it's perfect, but it's my opinion that a few phone calls once a year is getting you a better deal than if you had only one provider.

Look, there are merits to de-regulation, privatisation etc. Generally, private companies are quicker and more flexible to adapt to change, demand etc. There are also benefits in having fuffy adds and clever marketing strategies in that themselves create further employment, creating further markets etc. This is capitalism at its best and spreading effectively among the population.
Its what happens at the end of the process where small cliques of individuals in executive boards who control all the wealth generated by workers and decide, invariably, to disproportionately award themselves a larger slice of pie than they would otherwise get if their actual contribution to the company was measured efficiently. I have no issue with top guys getting just rewards, I do take issue with bare-faced disproportionate awards. This is trickle up economics.

Are you saying the regulator is in the pocket of the companies within the sector?

No.

I play Sudoku but I'm rubbish at this kind of puzzle... I give up; what does it mean?

I think what he is trying to say is that the proposal to cut welfare so as to cut taxes for higher earners and impose the shortfall on lower earners is without any basis. Furthermore, despite the length of this thread, no-one has demonstrated how it would be implemented.
But im guessing you still wont understand that either!

I think what he is trying to say is that the proposal to cut welfare so as to cut taxes for higher earners and impose the shortfall on lower earners is without any basis. Furthermore, despite the length of this thread, no-one has demonstrated how it would be implemented.
You could be right, would you bet the farm on it? Oh, and when was it a condition for expressing an opinion on a discussion forum that one must demonstrate how those views could be implemented?
Since the tax system is part of a bigger picture both taxation and spending policy must be linked. I gave you a broad outline in post 352 but you ignored it (and yes, I was hurt :(). I was going to say that since I'm not the Department of Finance I can't give a detailed outline of how these things should be implemented but they are a bad example to use. Maybe the HSE... no, what about... no, I can't think of a State body to use as an example.

But im guessing you still wont understand that either!
Why do you think that?

Last edited:
Oh, and when was it a condition for expressing an opinion on a discussion forum that one must demonstrate how those views could be implemented?

Its not a condition, but some indicators as to how it would be implemented might be of some persuasion.

I gave you a broad outline in post 352 but you ignored it (and yes, I was hurt :(). I was going to say that since I'm not the Department of Finance I can't give a detailed outline of how these things should be implemented but they are a bad example to use. Maybe the HSE... no, what about... no, I can't think of a State body to use as an example.

Gee, sorry, I must have genuinely missed it. Btw, my settings dont identify the post number, so if you quote it I promise I wont ignore it.
Im reminded of someone telling me before that the inefficiencies of public sector are treated with disdain and labelled as over bearing bureaucracies full of red-tape and a drain on taxpayer.
Inefficiencies in the private sector is embraced as the happy-clappy free market at work providing choice to the consumer!

Hi all ye fine minds
I suspect the tax system as its stands i do not want this to go off on a public service rant, allows whoever is in power to give in to all vested interests because when wages rise in one section of the ecomony the tax/prsi usc/employers prsi pension levy ,will cover the public services wage bill i suspect private sector employers/employees paying higher wages will follow if they can afford to once 300000 high rate tax payers follow all is sorted employers/employees on lower wages may not be able to follow without putting the lights out

If you take high earners already paying top rate taxes and they have already factored this into there fees /costs and you now give some of it back and they dont pass it on and you take it off some one on the dole if that person now needs there services and the charge the same you will now have to put there tax back to where it was they may put up there fees you then have to put the dole back up where it was and add the extra cost

Back