Curves Gym

• Thread starter monicafussyolla
  • Start date
M

monicafussyolla

I am thinking of joining up, going for a "look-see" tomorrow. Has anyone been?

security

couple of the girls in our office joined the one in Donnybrook and had a problem with the lack of security. No lockers and bags going missing etc - so check that out at whatever branch you're looking at. It sounds basic - no showers etc - but that could suit your purposes.

Curves

The opening hours (at least in Carrick on Shannon and Longford) are fairly restrictive by comparison to regular gyms and seem to suit stay-at-home mums or part-time workers, i.e. not open very early or late. No showers either, so you couldn't go before work or go out straight afterwards.

I would say the whole thing was a gimmick, except for my sister lost the last half-stone she'd been trying to shift by every other means (cutting down on food, walking the roads etc. etc.).

Curves are more of a "system" it would seem, than just plain old exercise. They reckon you can do an hour's workout in half an hour by using their special machines, which are not like the ones in the regular gym. The exercises are supposed to be more intense because they work antagonising muscles together (or something like that). You are also encouraged to buy books and follow the curves eating plans, which are basically a couple of weeks of crash diets/detox and then re-introducting foods slowly, as far as I can see. Like I said, I'd call it a gimmick/fad, but my sister swears by them.

I think you can pay monthly with no strings, so worse case, you loose 40 euro or something. At least that's not the end of the world if you don't bother with it.

Rebecca

Mrs Spacer swears by it also, but it seems expensive to me relative to the facilities available.

It costs the same as a regular gym, but it's far smaller. It also has far shorter opening hours (some branches don't open at all at the weekend. The workouts are short but intense and just as effective.

On the plus side, it seems closely-knit and very personable. The nstructors are very friendly and helpful and will ensure that you're doing things right. The women-only membership (should someone take an action?) also suits those who may be inhibited by the notion of "exposing flesh" in the company of the opposition.

On balance, seems like a good thing, but expensive in my opinion.

curves

Im with spacer. Mrs car loves it after trying other gyms and diets, but to my mind too its a little pricey for a workout. Nyahhhh...

Re: curves

I'm a member and think its great. It works out at e3 per workout if you go the recommended 3 times a week (Plus there is a joining fee)

The machines are hydrolic and work on resistance, so the harder you work the harder it gets, if that makes sense. The machines alternate between upper and lower body so you are resting the muscles in between and you run in between each machine also.

Altough there is a diet attached it has never been pushed on me, in fact I don't think it has ever even been mentioned to me. The weigh and measure you every month. All the staff are lovely and very helpful. You are always in and out in 30mins.

I'm in Donnybrook and its open till 8 at night and on Sat mornings.

Any idea what it costs? Is it per visit or by annual membership? Any joining fee?

cheers,
Diziet

Until the 31st August join up fee is €99.00(normally €199.00) and monthly it is €39.00 by direct debit.

Went to Curves in Artane on Friday evening I was not impressed it may have something to do with the person that was to give us the "tour". She was not very professional and was certainly no advertisement for curves as she was really overweight and not toned despite telling us she was a member herself since March. We were not even offered an assessment. Has anyone been to the Malahide branch?

Curves

I am a member of the Curves gym in Drogheda and I have to say the staff are absolutely brilliant, they are very helpful and friendly and there is always a good atmosphere every time I go. In our gym they have now started a monthly draw so every time you work out you enter your name in a box and at the end of the month there is a prize. A lot of women have lost lots of weight and lost lots of inches - the diet has not been pushed on anyone - there is simply a diet class on a Tuesday night for anyone who wants to attend. I might add that Curves is like McDonalds - ie a franchise so it basically depends on who owns each franchise - the owners of ours have a few around the country so they know how it works. Drogheda had the quickest 'joining' success there are 600 members now. The only pain is sometimes having to queue for the machines esp at the time I go (around 6.30 - 7pm). They open at 9am and last workout is 8pm. Sat open from 9 - 12 so there is lots of time for everyone to suit themselves. It was €102 to join and €35 a month. And no! I dont work there in case anyone thinks I do!!!

Re: Curves

A point to note- you only ever have to wait to get on the first machine. Once you are on the circuit every workout will take the same lenght of time. I have never had to wait. for more than a couple of minutes

Curves

i joined curves in terenure last june and after been a member or many gym's over the years i can honestly say it's brillant. The circuit takes 30 mins and the results are really good i.e i've lost a stone since june plus i feel a lot fitter. The staff there are brilliant and have not even mentioned the curves diet. There is no queuing for the machines as there is always someone getting off them. The only drawback is that there is no showers however they are moving into the old bodyline gym which will have showers in September.

Hi
I'm sussing out some fitness centres in Dublin with the aim of losing weight as quick but as healthily as possible over the next two to three months. One of them is Curves, the other is the other Dundrum Gym. I've read your comments about Curves with great interest. Has anyone been to the gym in Dundrum if you which regime do youse think is better for the aim I have in mind. Which do you feel has the best success rate.

Thanks

Well I had an interview with Curves the other day but decided to wait till I went to see Dundrum gym the following day before I made my decision. I was far more impressed with the latter, so impressed that I joined. I had a long interview on both places but everything about Dundrum impressed me. They have a small room there which has the Curves equipment, I think Curves runs a franchise from the place.

Dundrum had far more facilities, ambience & room. All Curves consisted of was one room with a circuit & a small area for stretching out afterwards, a small lockers room/shower/WC. Dundrum have a beautiful lobby, a huge gym & a smaller womens only gym if you're still so inclined. It has a creche which I won't need cause I've no kids, a spinning room (exercise bikes) & a room for aerobics etc. Its bright, cheerful & airy & if you pay everything up front or in five monthly instalments works out cheaper than Curves which has only a fraction of the facilities. Also it has a sauna, steam room, drying room (whatever that is) & sunbed though I'm not into those things. I had my fitness test the other day (I failed everything miserably barr one) & I'm being assigned a personal trainer today, how much more personal treatment can you get & I get a review after eight or 10 weeks. Based on my fitness test they will develop my own personal exercise regime. You appear to get fantastic personal attention, I hope it lasts. Even better the centre is readily accessible cause the of the Luas & the 14 & 14A have both been extended to Dundrum & its in a great in location near the new Dundrum S.C.

The one drawback is they've no water facilities but a swimming pool is in the offing sooner than later. Even better it will be none of these swimming pools with no deep end I believe done cause centres don't want to apply a lifeguard. I didn't train in lifesaving for three years to be confined to shallow water. I think, well I hope I've made the right decision & given that you encouraged to visit three times a week each session will work out at just over €3. I could think of far worse things I could have done with my money. :D

Re: Curves

Hi Shmccart
I also joined Terenure (behind the Pub - right?) last October. I did all the right things for a number of months, and seemed to tone up (or so the measurer said). Then came Easter, then summer hols, then something else, and I lost interest and started to fall by the wayside. I pay by D/Debit and had thought that I might cancel it when the year is up in October. The fact that I've seen your post here today has given me the idea that maybe I should give it another 'push'. I find the staff nice (especially Sinead - I think that's her name - Northern accent - very pleasant girl). I'm 52 now and it seems harder and harder to shift any fat residues (as I like to call those love handles), but maybe I'll give it another try. By the way, despite the post-name of Andrewa I AM actually female!! What evenings do you go??

Given that you tried to join Curves Andrewa I think alone would tell us you're a female. Is Curves being a female only establishment really a good thing? Personally I like to train with men & am not big into men only/women only establishments. Besides if one really seeks out this segregation Dundrum Gym has a female only gym.

Funny Curves in Terenure is also where I went to be interviewed. The curcuit personally reminded me of a hamster going around on a treadmill. Very repetitive, personally I can imagine sooner than later many users getting pretty bored with it.

Anyway I did my first workout at Dundrum Gym yesterday. A personal trainer came around with me initially & showed me how to use the weights. I was given a card with a list of weights I'm to use & I'm told how many repetitions I need do on each. They start you below your threshold rather than above it based on your fitness test.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some of the fitness classes too. The have an Abs class for beginners, tones your waistline or something. They've also Spinning classes which I can do where loads of people cycle in unison on stationary bikes. Mind you when they were showing me around the instructor was screeching dowm a mic. If he starts that tomorrow I'm going to ask him to lower it down, I don't want to end up getting really fit & losing my hearing :(

Lastly there step classes I can do. Their fitness regime like Curves is especially geared to lose weight and infact I'm reviewed after 10 workouts not 10 weeks. All the classes are inclusive of the price I initially paid which I think is really good. I'm very happy with my choice. :D

Back