Croke Park agreement and a new government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask Shawady and Deiseblue what companies they were? It's always been 39+hours where ever I worked.

It was a well known drinks company.
They had flexi time and you were required to clock in on average 7 hours a day i.e. 35 hours a week.
You were obviously clocked out for lunch break.

We work 8-4.30 with a half hour for lunch as standard. Most people start between 6.30 and 7.30 and finish between 4.30 and 7.30.

Flexi-time is not universal in the Civil Service. Some offices have it and some don't. Your statement above is misleading.

Also misleading is the inference that flexi-time leads to more days off. The Civil Service flexi-time arrangement (when available!) allows the employee to structure their working time within some strict limits... the general jist being that the employee has the potential to work an additional 1.5 days in a given 4 week period and then to take this time within the next 4 week time period - subject to management approval.

All time off gained is equal to extra time worked.

I've worked in 4 Government Departments and flexi-time was available to staff at certain levels in all those Departments, I never stated that flexi-time was available to all, you're being misled by something you thought I stated which I didn't.

I'm sorry but your logic is seriously impaired where you state that working flexi does not lead to more days off, it does. The fact that they have been worked on previous days where the staff member was attending work anyway does not negate that fact.

As for Purple's statement that anything over 20 days annual leave is a perk, well that's just rubbish, next we'll have weekends are a perk, time and a half is a perk, getting paid more than the minimum wage is a perk.

Can I ask Shawady and Deiseblue what companies they were? It's always been 39+hours where ever I worked.

Certainly , it was Bank of Ireland.

I worked 9 to 5 with a 1 hour lunch break with a 1/4 hour break in the morning and another in the afternoon.

I worked similar hours in a Flour Mills , a drinks factory , a furniture manufacturers and a refridgeration company - all with differing starting and clocking off times but all 8 hour days less 1.5 hours for lunch and breaks.

I worked 9 to 5 with a 1 hour lunch break with a 1/4 hour break in the morning and another in the afternoon.

I worked similar hours in a Flour Mills , a drinks factory , a furniture manufacturers and a refridgeration company - all with differing starting and clocking off times but all 8 hour days less 1.5 hours for lunch and breaks.

OK, we give 15 minutes in the morning paid and, if you are finishing after 6.30, you get another 15 minute paid break at 4.30. That accounts for 1.25 to 2.5 hours a week.

As for Purple's statement that anything over 20 days annual leave is a perk, well that's just rubbish, next we'll have weekends are a perk, time and a half is a perk, getting paid more than the minimum wage is a perk.

No, weekends are not part of a standard week. 20 days holidays are the legal minimum; everything after that is a perk.

I knew it! I'm being screwed!
This working lark is all a bit of a con. Way too much stress, late nights, weekend work...
In fact, the more I think about it, the more appealing living off the state becomes. Then I can persue my art and not worry about all the commerce...

I've worked in 4 Government Departments and flexi-time was available to staff at certain levels in all those Departments, I never stated that flexi-time was available to all, you're being misled by something you thought I stated which I didn't.

My apologies, I took your statement of:

Those at the lower grades can work up flexi-time so the 20 days (now 22) could actually end up being 38 days (now 40).

to mean that those at the lower grades can work up flexi-time. I didn't realise that you meant some of those at lower grades can work up flexi-time.

I'm sorry but your logic is seriously impaired where you state that working flexi does not lead to more days off, it does. The fact that they have been worked on previous days where the staff member was attending work anyway does not negate that fact.

I concede the point that you might have more entire days off. But as you will have worked up the time over previous days then it is not a perk granting additional time off. It is a perk allowing you to structure your working day to better suit your work/life balance.

Which Departments don't have flexi-time for the relevant grades? I have never come across one that doesn't.

I have a relative working as an EO who does not have flexi-time (don't want to give too much info as she might be identifiable) and also a neighbour of mine is a CO in the local police station - she doesn't have flexi time either.

So now that the Croke park Agreement has celebrated its first birthday would anycone care to give a synopsis of what reforms have been achieved in the first year?

Holiday entitlements for hours "worked" up

What is missing from this debate is the fact that many PS workers get holiday entitlements for hours "worked up".

Example: A PS worker on 35 hours a week could for example leave on Friday at 11 or 12 depending on what hours they have worked during the week. Instead they work till 3 or 4 or 5 and add those 3,4 or 5 hours on to their holidays.

In this way a lot of PS workers do a "normal" week of 38 or 39 hours but are able to build up their holidays.

Two personal experiences on this:

1. Sitting beside a guy on a flight who was PS and had worked up and carried over enough holidays that he was on a holiday a month. His total entitlement that year was 48 days.
2. Sister in law is PS and "works up" a huge number of holidays when she gets pregnant so her paid maternity leave can be extended to something private sector workers can only dream about. Last time she took 10 months paid leave.

So, as always in these debates we don't really hear the real story. Ah well.

1. Sitting beside a guy on a flight who was PS and had worked up and carried over enough holidays that he was on a holiday a month. His total entitlement that year was 48 days.
2. Sister in law is PS and "works up" a huge number of holidays when she gets pregnant so her paid maternity leave can be extended to something private sector workers can only dream about. Last time she took 10 months paid leave.

I work in the private sector and have seen both things happen.

What is missing from this debate is the fact that many PS workers get holiday entitlements for hours "worked up".

Example: A PS worker on 35 hours a week could for example leave on Friday at 11 or 12 depending on what hours they have worked during the week. Instead they work till 3 or 4 or 5 and add those 3,4 or 5 hours on to their holidays.

In this way a lot of PS workers do a "normal" week of 38 or 39 hours but are able to build up their holidays.

Two personal experiences on this:

You're talking about flexi-time - which is common in the public sector and many parts of the private sector. In the public sector, the usual rule is that you're limited to 1.5 flexi-days off in any given month. If you work up additional time (as many people do), you lose it (as many people do). The max that anybody could be adding to their holidays is 1.5 days in any month.

I worked in a hi-tech multi-national - software company - household name - where the mammies would routinely take 11 months paid leave for each child, and some added on unpaid parental leave. This has nothing to so with being in the public sector.

So, as always in these debates we don't really hear the real story. Ah well.
You're right - we certainly dont hear the real story here on AAM.

You're talking about flexi-time - which is common in the public sector and many parts of the private sector. In the public sector, the usual rule is that you're limited to 1.5 flexi-days off in any given month. If you work up additional time (as many people do), you lose it (as many people do). The max that anybody could be adding to their holidays is 1.5 days in any month.

I worked in a hi-tech multi-national - software company - household name - where the mammies would routinely take 11 months paid leave for each child, and some added on unpaid parental leave. This has nothing to so with being in the public sector.

You're right - we certainly dont hear the real story here on AAM.

Ah, here we go again. The usual "I have seen it happen in the private sector therefore the fact it is endemic in the public sector is fine".

Again, we dont see the the full picture. Are you referring to PS workers with recent contracts or PS workers on older contracts? I have worked in the private sector for many years and have never seen a new mum take 11 PAID months, there is always an unpaid portion at the end. What is typical in most private sector firms is that you are not allowed to carry over ANY holidays unless there are special circumstances. This is the practice NOW. The point is that the private sector has moved on, the public sector have not.

To silence all the apologists and prevent the usual public sector selectively dishing out statistics I would love to see the following statistic:

Average number of days taken as holidays per year in the private sector and public sector.

I am not talking about holiday entitlements, no so don't bother. I am talking about the number of actual days taken as a holiday and privilege day and a "lodge your paycheck" day and a worked up day and a carried over day and a "go to races" day and a "xmas shopping" day and etc..

That will tell its own story and everything else is a load of rubbish.

Ah, here we go again. The usual "I have seen it happen in the private sector therefore the fact it is endemic in the public sector is fine".

Again, we dont see the the full picture. Are you referring to PS workers with recent contracts or PS workers on older contracts? I have worked in the private sector for many years and have never seen a new mum take 11 PAID months, there is always an unpaid portion at the end. What is typical in most private sector firms is that you are not allowed to carry over ANY holidays unless there are special circumstances. This is the practice NOW. The point is that the private sector has moved on, the public sector have not.

To silence all the apologists and prevent the usual public sector selectively dishing out statistics I would love to see the following statistic:

Average number of days taken as holidays per year in the private sector and public sector.

I am not talking about holiday entitlements, no so don't bother. I am talking about the number of actual days taken as a holiday and privilege day and a "lodge your paycheck" day and a worked up day and a carried over day and a "go to races" day and a "xmas shopping" day and etc..

That will tell its own story and everything else is a load of rubbish.

So you haven't even seen statistics to back up your rant and are slagging hundreds of thousands of people because of a man on a plane and your sister in law?

There is a forum for letting of stream. You should post there.

So you haven't even seen statistics to back up your rant and are slagging hundreds of thousands of people because of a man on a plane and your sister in law?

There is a forum for letting of stream. You should post there.

Ah lovely, so now I am letting off steam eh? :)

Wow.

Look, everything is based on anecdotal evidence until the stats prove it. But there is a LOT of anecdotal evidence from my own experiences and from neighbours and friend who are working in the public sector. I KNOW it goes on and a lot, I personally don't need these stats because I KNOW myself it goes on but I don't have the stats to prove it - great defence by the way ... attack the fact that there is no proof rather than admit it happens.

Again, the stat that would prove it all is really simple:

How many days were taken as leave or holiday/vacation days in 2010/2009 in the public sector and private sectors? This figures should not just regurgitate the usual "Well, now, eh a worker starting here has to make do with a 22 day entitlement" but actually be the number of days the employee was out of the office, EXCLUDING the usual 11 day sick day "entitlement". :)

Now I'm confused. It's not very helpful to refer to PS when are debating public sector and private sector, as both of these being with P. You might want to clarify.

I've also worked in the private sector for many years - 20+ years. I've carried over holidays in some cases, and I've seen people take 11 months paid maternity leave.

You don't have a monopoly of personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back