Croatia/Dubrovnik

sisterlylove

Hi Guys!

M parents are thinking of going to Croatia in July. They would be flying into Dubrovnik. Has anyone been there and could give any advice on where to go, where to stay etc... They very much like city breaks, sightseeing... Whats the weather like in July and any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a mil

We were there in June a few years ago. It was very hot about 35 deg so it is important to have air condidioning in rooms. Dubrovnik is a lovely place and we also went to nearby Cavetat. There are lots of islands to go to and we found by going out on a boat it was a nice way to keep cool.

Thanks Coleen. Didn't realise there's so much to choose from in Croatia. Haven't a clue where to start. Any other tips would be great.

We stayed in Cavtat a few years ago for a long weekend. Lovely scenery and people.
Dubrovnik is great especially the old city.
Your parents will need to be very fit as it is all very hilly.
They will be able to get a boat to Cavtat and back from the old city , if they choose to go there. Restaurants are good.
We had a great time.

Visited Dubrovnik about 2 years ago. we hired a driver and car and he drove us to Medjugorje and to Mostar. It was a full day trip - 7am to 11 pm approx and i think he charged about €100. scenery was brillent. some of Dubrovnik is hilly so bring good walking shoes. enjoy.

I was in Dubrovnik two years ago in July, very hot, definitely have air conditioning. Town centre very busy in the day time with day trippers and cruise ships which berth there. Islands lovely and worth a trip. Definitely recommend taxi day trips, much more comfortable than bus. We went to Montenegro for day and also took a bus trip to mostar. Beaches are stoney so bring jelly shoes or flip flops. Colour of sea magnificent. Best time to walk around dubrovnik is in the evening or early morning.

hi

Yes it will be very hot at that time. I would advise that they be off shore, swimming, or resting in their air conditioned room during the hottest times of the day. To be very honest I wouldn't go there at all at that time of year, I think it would be too hot. We were in Croatia in May a couple of years ago and it was too hot for me on the mainland during the day.

We spent a couple of days in Dubrovnik looking around, then we travelled up the coast to one of the bigger islands off Split (can't remember name) via the car ferry but I'm sure there are more stylish ways of doing it, it was comfortable but basic. I wish now we'd stopped in Korcula, lovely looking island. They could also just day trip out to various islands near Dubrovnik. However the car ferry was a great way to get to Split which I thought was a fantastic city, but wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

We got the bus back to Dubrovnik, spent a few nights in Makarska which is kind of like a holiday resort, perfectly pleasant for a bit of swimming.

We really liked Croatia, I would go back in flash. Particularly liked the people they were very no nonsense, wouldn't suit holiday makers who want to be treated like royalty.

Thanks a mil for all your replies. Was speaking with my parents and they seem interested in staying in Dubrovnik itself. Any recommendations on accommodation there? Preferably not too expensive but nice at the same time or close by. Would you recommend hiring a car?

Stunning Croatia

Hi

We went to Croatia a couple of years ago and I have to say it has to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. Dubrovnik is a wonderful city and should absolutely not be missed. Having said that, a city in the heat is a city in the heat and it's a wonderful relief to be heading back to some where outside after a day sightseeing. We stayed in the hotel croatia in Cavtat. (This hotel is a bit expensive and is up a steep hill so not for the lazy or unfit.) We will probably rent an apartment if we go back. This wee town is a short drive away and is an absolute gem of a place. Really picturesque by the sea. It's definitely worth visiting even if you don't stay. You can get a boat over to Dubrovnik, it takes about an hour. Lovely and refreshing in the heat. We only went for a week but if I had the time and money I would go for at least three weeks and rent a couple of apartments or book into a few hotels in different areas and travel a bit, visit the beautiful Islands. There is so much to see. It will be a holiday to remember.

Stunning Croatia

Hi

We went to Croatia a couple of years ago and I have to say it has to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. Dubrovnik is a wonderful city and should absolutely not be missed. Having said that, a city in the heat is a city in the heat and it's a wonderful relief to be heading back to some where outside after a day sightseeing. We stayed in the hotel croatia in Cavtat. (This hotel is a bit expensive and is up a steep hill so not for the lazy or unfit.) We will probably rent an apartment if we go back. This wee town is a short drive away and is an absolute gem of a place. Really picturesque by the sea. It's definitely worth visiting even if you don't stay. You can get a boat over to Dubrovnik, it takes about an hour. Lovely and refreshing in the heat. We only went for a week but if I had the time and money I would go for at least three weeks and rent a couple of apartments or book into a few hotels in different areas and travel a bit, visit the beautiful Islands. There is so much to see. It will be a holiday to remember.

croatia dubrovnik

hi - husband and I went for a week at v short notice last august and would thoroughly recommend it. we stayed in dubrovnik palace (classified as 5 star but more like an ok irish 4 star). location of the hotel is excellent on the sea, great breezes, views, swimming platforms and pools etc and theres a free bus shuttle to the old town (about 10/15 mins). Also great spa in this hotel.

Would recommend doing any walking tours etc early in the morning or late evening - the old town is absolutely hopping at night, great atmosphere!

beautiful city and surroundings - definitely worth a visit.

go to tripadvisor.com for other hotel recommendations

we hired a car for two days and drove into montenegro for one entire exhausting day though the scenery was magnificent. spent another v enjoyable morning at a renaissance era villa and gardens outside the city and another day motor-boat cruising the islands with another couple - stopping off for swims and the best fish lunch we've ever had in an island restaurant. Glorious!

(i wish i was back there now . . .)

>>motor-boat cruising the islands with another couple - stopping off for swims and the best fish lunch we've ever had in an island restaurant. <<

That is the business in Croatia - would go back for a holiday of just doing this in a flash.

Thanks a mil fr all your replies.... They've now decided to see Rome instead... Any recommendations on hotels, sightseeing must do's etc for Rome would be grateful. Thinking of Hotel Delle Province. Anyone stayed there?

Back