Credit Union Tax Free Term A/c

pudds

Hi guys I have 21k in a credit union 5yr Special Term Share a/c which has matured recently. The first €635 int p.a. was tax free.

My question is should I open another of these accounts in order to avail of the tax free option again or considering the higher interest rates available now from elsewhere would I be better off taking it out and putting in a bank.

Last year i got 3.75% which was the highest rate I got from the c.u. but am I likely to get more or less than that rate this year from the c.u. ?

I reckon I would be better off putting it in the bank, what do you guys think?

I'll see what the budget brings us of course first.

Hi Pudds,

You are only allowed to hold one of these accounts. You should check with your credit union as they will have some idea what dividend they will pay this year as their financial year ends on 30th September.

Regards

Cu Jimmy

Hi Pudds,

You are only allowed to hold one of these accounts. You should check with your credit union as they will have some idea what dividend they will pay this year as their financial year ends on 30th September.

Regards

Cu Jimmy

Staff in the CU will be unable or unwise to speculate on what dividend will be recommended to the AGM. On a pure return basis, banks are offering these DIRT free term accounts, at better rates than likely, IMO, dividends this year.

Slim

is there any advantage really to the dirt free if the interest rate is poor.Overall would be less return than from a bank?!

There is for and against re these term accounts. Remember your money is tied in for the term. The interest rate is variable. Credit union interest rates are likely to be very low this year but of course it varies from credit union to credit union. Doubt if any will offer in excess of 3%. Heard of a local credit union giving 2% and another nearby giving 1%. Some have been stung with perpetual bonds.

Back