"Credit rationing restores the link between incomes and house prices" - Ronan Lyons

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Ronan Lyons made an excellent presentation to the Oireachtas Finance Committee in support of the minimum deposit of 20% proposed by the Central Bank. I have transcribed it here.

It starts at 10 on this CR3_20141127-14.30.wmv

Families in Ireland should have access to abundant and affordable good quality homes Everything else is detail.

The state should be neutral between private, social and cooperative ownership.
The state should be neutral between renting and ownership – that is not for the state to decide

There are three groups

• Private owners
  • Private renters
  • Social renters

Affordability – This is about linking incomes to prices or rents on the one hand and to the cost of building on the other. This is a competitiveness argument. If you are trying to attract the likes of Google you must have good quality affordable housing.

Availability - The simple maths is that we have a growing population but not a growing housing stock. We have reached the limit of where rents can go in Dublin, so people are commuting from places like Laois and Cavan on a daily basis. This sprawl is not sustainable

There are two sets of factors:

One set: Income supply and demographics which affects prices and rents

There is a second set of factors which affects the relationships between them: Expectations and credit

The effect of credit rationing is that it keeps the link between house prices and incomes. There should be some sort of stable relationship and also to keep prices in line with rents.

The side effect of credit rationing is that we prevent the cost of building from getting out of control. In a sense, we are too late on that because the cost of building a home went out of control in the decade to 2007 and because prices were going up, no one really cared. There was basically free profit because credit was so easy.

The effect of new supply is to keep prices and rents down.

But you might argue that there was plenty of supply from 2001 to 2007. When you look at income and supply, they had no impact on prices. The only thing which drove prices up was excess credit.

We are seeing the impact of all that excess building – keeping prices and rents low.

There was very little building on a per capita basis in the Greater Dublin area even during the bubble.

My concern is that the new [building] regulations have kicked in the high cost basis. These regulations are anti-poor. Those on the average wage cannot afford to buy a minimum spec home in the Greater Dublin area because of the local authority regulations. Ironically the new regulations mean that there are greater profits to be made for those who get to build. But few get to build because the numbers don’t stack up.

The direct effect of mortgage insurance is going to be to increase prices relative to rents and relative to incomes and I don’t think that that is in debate.

If you give people more credit the first thing that will happen is that prices will go up relative to rents and to incomes. Unless this is sustainable, it’s a bad thing.

What is the purpose of insurance? It might remove some risk to the bank, but it does break the link between people’s incomes and the cost of people’s homes.

Credit rationing is good. What the Central Bank is trying to do is good.

There are clearly some transitional issues. There are clearly some issues about the cost of building a home.

If you bring in mortgage insurance, you are undoing that good work that the Central Bank is doing. You are leaving us open to the prospect of another bubble.

The one caveat to that… If we don’t have a social housing strategy, then mortgage insurance might fulfill a role. If you think of renting as an age thing, once you get to family stage, you have people who are in the private sector and people who are in the social sector. What percentage are in the social sector? Your minimum deposit determines that boundary. If you have no social housing, clearly you want the lowest minimum deposit possible because the private sector provides housing for everyone and everyone must have access to credit. If you have a social housing strategy, you don’t need such a low minimum deposit. You can have a much higher and much safer minimum deposit. The worry is that the mortgage insurance scheme is a substitute for a full social housing scheme.

Additional points made in response to questions

While I support the 20% minimum deposit, it should be phased in from 10% to 20% over 10 years.

If we increase the minimum deposit by 5%, house prices will fall by 10%.

While the Oireachtas hearing was specifically about mortgage indemnity insurance, most of us spoke about the Central Bank's proposals. The 4 public interest speakers - Ronan, FLAC, New Beginning and I, broadly welcomed the 20% minimum deposit. If it is brought in, then mortgage indemnity insurance would not be needed.

Before the hearing, I had moved towards supporting the 20% minimum deposit. Ronan's presentation has made me even more supportive.

He also stressed a point that I had made, that it should be gradually introduced.

I have to say I am not convinced

(1) I am always wary of situations where a government \ government body seeks additional restrictions when it is not apparent that its current powers are not enough. We do not want a situation of 100% mortgages. I think we need to give 90% mortgages a try, and a proper register of debts (so that people cannot take out credit union loans for their deposit). Then, and only then, if that fails, should we consider 80% mortgages.

Last edited:
Let's look at the two extremes

1) Banks are prepared to give 110% mortgages with 5 times earnings, or higher if there is a worthwhile guarantee.
2) Mortgages are banned - people can buy houses only with their savings.

In the first case, house prices would increase much faster than supply. But supply would respond in time.

In the second case, very few houses would be built.

My gut feeling is that 80% is about right. This probably comes from the practice when I first bought a house. The LTV was 80% and the maximum Loan to Income was 2.5 times.

Houses seemed more affordable.

I think that one could argue that back in the 80s a buyer was getting a lot less for their money. Now all new houses are of a very high specification which is part of the reason they are so expensive.

My gut is that 80% is about right. But maybe 90% is the right figure?

Maybe we allow 90% and reduce it if the market overheats? But who decides if the market is overheating? The Central Bank I presume.

My gut is that 80% is about right. But maybe 90% is the right figure?
What if the deposit required was 20% but there was a minimum deposit of say €20k and a maximum (required by the CB) of say €50k . . where €50k was less than 20% of the purchase price the banks could decide whether or not they were happy to lend or look for a larger deposit, their hands wouldn't be tied as such.

L
My gut feeling is that 80% is about right. This probably comes from the practice when I first bought a house. The LTV was 80% and the maximum Loan to Income was 2.5 times.

If I am remebering correctly the Debt to Income ratio was 2 X main earner salary plus 1 x second income maximum. It's a reasonable tool for maximum amounts. However at that time the maximum term was also 20 years. With 30/35 year mortgages now available, perhaps the LTI would need some revision. I haven't done the math, but if you use that same restriction now with a couple on 50k & 40k pa respectively they will be restricted to a mortgage of 140k. Not many properties available at that price!!

What if the deposit required was 20% but there was a minimum deposit of say €20k and a maximum (required by the CB) of say €50k . . where €50k was less than 20% of the purchase price the banks could decide whether or not they were happy to lend or look for a larger deposit, their hands wouldn't be tied as such.

What a good idea! :)

I haven't done the math, but if you use that same restriction now with a couple on 50k & 40k pa respectively they will be restricted to a mortgage of 140k. Not many properties available at that price!!

But that is Ronan's key point. If you limit the credit, house prices will fall into that range.

I think it was 2.5 times "his" salary and 1 times "hers", so that would mean that they could borrow €165k

The CB is proposing restricting it to 3.5 times their combined salary or €315k, almost double the amount.

Iv'e entered these figures into our mortgagor calculator and they coem out very positive for a couple of combined 90k income with no family and no ther borrowings (1 car). Total disposable incvome after tax of 69.5k and mortgage stressed at 6% giving repayments on a 30 year term of 1.890 pm (22.7k pa). Model assumes living/car expenses of 29.4k pa!!
On those figures the CB restriction of 3.5x appears reasonable and affordable even at a 6% mortgage rate!

44brendan.

Your 3.5 @6% adds up.

Interesting to observe Dublin prices.
Here in the country you will get a very good 4 Bedroom Semi @ k100.
So over 30 years @ 6% = 600 per month on 100% finance.
So over 30 years @ 6% = 480 per month on 80% finance.
I would think affordable for most workers.

Surely house prices need to (fall) or be supplied at 3.5 times average wage of k35 =k122 to really sort this and create a virtuous circle twix supply/demand/market/affordability.

I see nothing but extended misery for those who lock into high mortgages.

Government need to tweak things such as Vat on Building supplies so as to artificially lower market prices for some years until supply/demand balance off at a sustainable level.

So I think credit rationing will work in time but at what cost

44brendan.

Your 3.5 @6% adds up.

Interesting to observe Dublin prices.
Here in the country you will get a very good 4 Bedroom Semi @ k100.

I agree with you there Gerry but you will not get new builds into the future even in the country for that

So over 30 years @ 6% = 600 per month on 100% finance.
So over 30 years @ 6% = 480 per month on 80% finance.
I would think affordable for most workers.

Agree

Surely house prices need to (fall) or be supplied at 3.5 times average wage of k35 =k122 to really sort this and create a virtuous circle twix supply/demand/market/affordability.

I am puzzled why it costs so much for a basic 3 bed semi in Dublin. I accept that there is a lot of quite significant Local Authority charges involved and the New Build Regs. (Often wonder what an objective cost benefit analysis of them would turn up).

I see nothing but extended misery for those who lock into high mortgages.

Agree

Government need to tweak things such as Vat on Building supplies so as to artificially lower market prices for some years until supply/demand balance off at a sustainable level.

So I think credit rationing will work in time but at what cost

There is a difficult problem to sort out without making the same mistakes again and that is how do you control costs. Site costs increase/wages increase/materials increase/builders profit margin increases as Cr. increases.

So I think increased credit might work but at what cost.

Am I the only poster left on AAM who believes in the market.

Do we really believe that we should have to save both the banks and the borrowers from their own folly in over lending and over borrowing.

Do we really believe that we can.

Clearly the experience of the 2000's needs to be addressed but it is far from clear what the real impact of the various suggestions would be. Therefore I think that a little caution before interfering with the market would be wise.

My own preference is for non-recourse borrowing. This would insulate borrowers at least from the consequences of over borrowing.

Banks should be required to hold insurance issued by an insurer from outside the state, against excess losses.

However it seems that the CBs 20% proposal is likely to come into effect,perhaps slightly reduced. I firmly believe this will bring great stability to the housing market and hence in the long run increase prices.

Maybe we allow 90% and reduce it if the market overheats? But who decides if the market is overheating? The Central Bank I presume.

As a matter of practical politics, in a case where markets were overheating LTV would increase in a boom.

Bertie's need to be reelected would trump the central bank every time.

Perhaps we will never again elect a Bertie, maybe the electorate have learned their lesson, but I doubt it.

Do we really believe that we should have to save both the banks and the borrowers from their own folly in over lending and over borrowing.

Hi Cremeegg

That would have been my philosophy up to the recent boom and bust. But I have changed my views.

There are two problems.

Most banks did not agree with 100% mortgages or 5 times income. But when one bank started doing it, they got all the business. The correct thing for the other lenders would have been to sit back and let the other bank eventually go bust. But in practice, they would have come under huge pressure for losing so much market share. In fact, the prudent bankers would have probably been offered early retirement and the sales guys would have taken over. So the lenders need to be stopped from reckless lending.

Likewise the borrowers need to be stopped from reckless borrowing. If you and I believe that we should not borrow more than 80% of the market value but everyone else borrows recklessly, the others will push up the prices and those of us who are prudent will never be able to compete in an overpriced market. OK, we can rent and wait for house prices to come down. It's better to tell everyone that the most that they can borrow is 80%. Then the prudent ones won't be at a disadvantage.

Brendan

As a matter of practical politics, in a case where markets were overheating LTV would increase in a boom.

Bertie's need to be reelected would trump the central bank every time.

That is certainly a risk.

So maybe the Central Bank needs to just say that the maximum LTV is 80% and that's that. Ignore the media and the politics. Take away the punch bowl once and everyone will get used to it.

Brendan

I attach Ronan's submission to the Central Bank consultation

He broadly supports the Central Bank's proposals:

This brief note is in broad support of the measures proposed

The overall argument of this note is that restrictions on lending are necessary, but that, as currently proposed, they raise a number of theoretical and practical considerations, which should be
addressed.

Practically speaking, the experience of 1995-2007 teaches us that supply of dwellings, not supply of credit, is the best way to ensure abundant and affordable housing for Irish households. Limiting the amount of credit per household is, therefore, one of two policies necessary. The second, a topic for another platform, is increasing the supply of housing by lowering the cost of building homes relative to household income.

The Central Bank's eff orts should be exclusively on loan-to-value measures, not loan-to-income ones, for the reasons outlined above.

This is so against the grain, and counter-intuitive, that I will set up a separate thread.

Attachments

• Ronan Lyons - CBI Mortgage limit consultation.pdf
    193.9 KB · Views: 25

I believe in markets too, but all the evidence shows that borrowers have an optimism bias, and lenders can be greedy.

If left to their own devices, people will over-borrow, so yes, we must reluctantly restrict them.

Back