creative zen

D

daapn

Hi All,
I have just got the new Creative Zen 32gb but I am having problems transferring the music from my old bulky creative Zen touch to my lovely new shiny, credit card size model, can somebody please help? I can get the Zen touch docked but I can’t find it in my computer afterwards, I have tried reloading the nomad software but it won’t load, only gets to 95% and freezes, any ideas??? I was hoping that the software for the new Zen would also be compatible for the new model Zen. I am not great when it comes to this kind of things so any help would greatly appreciated.

Daapn

Just use Windows Media Player perhaps? I used it to sync with a Zen V Plus recently and it "just worked". I find that it works well for most modern digital audio players. I never liked the Creative software I have to say.

Is this on XP or Vista. Perhaps theres a newer version of the software. Personally I use MediaMonkey (freeware) for all my MP3 players. The other point is that perhaps you can't copy music back?

forget the s/w for the moment. try just using windows explorer. it should see the zen like an extra drive. (drive E or F for example.)

if this fails go to the creative web site. thier support is not bad especially if the device is new.

forget the s/w for the moment. try just using windows explorer. it should see the zen like an extra drive. (drive E or F for example.)
Not necessarily. At least the Creative Zen V Plus does not appear as a mass storage device/hard disk unless you explicitly enable the mass storage option for storing files (but not music to be played) on it. I presume that other devices may work similarly. Not all digital audio players necessarily appear as mass storage devices in Windows.

In addition to what Clubman said.

BigJoe...You're thinking of USB mass storage device class (USB MSC). Which the Zen isn't. At least not for music, only for data. Almost all the creative devices use Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) for music that at the minimum need Windows Media Player, (WMP) or the Creative software to move music on/off the device.

Also not all software allows to to copy music off a MP3 player. You might need to use some shareware/free application that does this special, like that Nomad software.

Not necessarily. At least the Creative Zen V Plus does not appear as a mass storage device/hard disk unless you explicitly enable the mass storage option for storing files (but not music to be played) on it.

It does for me, anyhow. Afaik, I didn't explicitly enable such an option.

I'm guessing you have WMP 11 installed, which allows you to use MTP devices via explorer.

my creative zen vision M (60gb) has appeared as a drive from day one without doing anything to it. have used windows exploer to copy both music and video to it.

It does for me, anyhow. Afaik, I didn't explicitly enable such an option.
You mean you can copy music tracks to the player which appears as a hard disk drive letter and they will play? This does not work with the Zen V Plus as far as I know. You can enable a mass storage device "partition" of up to 1GB (?) for storage of data files though. See the post above about MSC versus MTP.

Oh - just read the subsequent post about WMP 11 and MTP devices appearing as regular hard drives. :eek:

The creative zen xtra and touch are incompatible with windows media player 11. If you are running wmp 11 on XP you need to roll it back to wmp 10, and then install firmware from the creative website. After that the software should install properly, and will recognise the mp3 player.
If you are using wmp 11 on windows vista you cant roll it back to media player 10, there may not be an easy solution there.
All information is on the creative website.

Back