Crashed car but no other party involved

Bluegrass

I crashed my car into the side of a ditch and nobody else thankfully was involved. However, will this affect my insurability or my insurance costs for next year and does it go down as an accident for future insurance quotes?

I only had third party insurance on the car and I am not claiming for anything either.

Because the car was old, the insurance was higher when I bought it (by about 50% - the insurance company told me that) I will be changing to a newer car (about a 10 year old car)

If you are not claiming anything from your insurance company, and there wasn't any Garda involvement, than this shouldn't affect your insurance premium.

You will have to let your insurance company know, you confirm no accidents in all motor policies, new or renewal.

If there were no other parties involved, no damage to property, no insurance company or garda involvement, then it's not an accident really. Fix/scrap the car and move on.

You will have to let your insurance company know, you confirm no accidents in all motor policies, new or renewal.

If there were no other parties involved, no damage to property, no insurance company or garda involvement, then it's not an accident really.

Bluegrass - you should be very careful here. If you don't declare it and subsequently have an accident, they could deny liability.

So read the declarations very carefully. If it asks you "Have you made a claim?" - the answer is no. If they ask you "Have you had an accident?" - you will probably need to say "Yes, but the damage was €400, no third party was involved and no claim was made."

Brendan

Bluegrass - you should be very careful here. If you don't declare it and subsequently have an accident, they could deny liability.

So read the declarations very carefully. If it asks you "Have you made a claim?" - the answer is no. If they ask you "Have you had an accident?" - you will probably need to say "Yes, but the damage was €400, no third party was involved and no claim was made."

Brendan

Many thanks. I don't intend to use that car again so would this allow me a refund of the remaining insurance I've paid?

if it was me I wouldn't mention it at all to the insurance company, sometimes been to honest can cost you in the long run.
In the OPs case nobody else was involved so no harm no foul and if asked, it wasn't an accident I parked it in the ditch ;)

what exactly defines an "accident"? I backed my car into a tree last week, there was no damage and I thought nothing more of it. No 3rd party, no guards, no claim - why would you tell the insurance company, it's literally between you and the wall :)

Ask your insurer for their definition of an "accident", if it's not already defined in their policy booklet. IMO backing a car into a tree is carelessness; a tree falling on a car may be an accident.

It would be crazy to report something like this to an insurance company. Where would one stop? Does backing into a pole and paying to fix the damage yourself count as "an accident"?

I reversed my car out of the drive way recently, damaged the rear bumper and quarter panel on the gate pillar, estimated damage cost was €950, I sorted it out privately. It was a silly accident. To say I should report this to my insurance company is total nonsense.
If I had hit someones property or worse, hit another person in that incident, that would be a completely different issue.

OK - the fact of the matter is that it was reported at the time.

The insurance company issued a letter advising that it was "Report only" and that the NCB was not affected by this report.

I reversed my car out of the drive way recently, damaged the rear bumper and quarter panel on the gate pillar, estimated damage cost was €950, I sorted it out privately. It was a silly accident. To say I should report this to my insurance company is total nonsense.
If I had hit someones property or worse, hit another person in that incident, that would be a completely different issue.

No one said you had to. The point was made that there are two possible different questions - 1. Have you had any claims....... 2. Have you had any accidents, whether covered or not.........

1) Have you had any claims.... Answer...No
2) Have you had any Accidents....Not sure if that is a question asked, but although I referred above to a silly accident, its a grey area, I could easily referred to it as silly incident. Its splitting hairs, but if that question is asked on renewing your policy, its casting a net out there to potentially increase a premium without any defence.

Exactly! Which was the point already raised. If the questions is accident, and it some how comes out that you did and didnt declare you would have an issue.

Anyways in a twist it should probably be pointed out that the OP is asking a question in another post about how their son can now cancel his insurance policy as he doesnt require it!

Back