Couple, 70s, €2m in bank, seeking inflation protection

What rubbish - you have no idea of the state of their health or otherwise - plenty of people live healthly lives into their 70, 80s and even beyond
I was talking in general terms. When you 75+ people do not have the energy of a 40 or 50 year old.

Who is Defined as Elderly? Typically, the elderly has been defined as the chronological age of 65 or older. People from 65 to 74 years old are usually considered early elderly, while those over 75 years old are referred to as late elderly.21 Aib 2021

They could live for 100 years on €2M at €20K p.a. never mind the rental income and capital appreciation of the land! Inflation protection is the last thing that they should be worrying about!
You won't change the mindset of some people. My mother would only heat one room in her house after my father died even though she could afford to heat the whole house 24/7. She preferred going to bingo than going to the Olympics or visiting Greenland! Each to their own though!

They could live for 100 years on €2M at €20K p.a. never mind the rental income and capital appreciation of the land! Inflation protection is the last thing that they should be worrying about!
My exact thoughts on the situation too.

You won't change the mindset of some people. My mother would only heat one room in her house after my father died even though she could afford to heat the whole house 24/7. She preferred going to bingo than going to the Olympics or visiting Greenland! Each to their own though!
I agree. And each to his/her own.
But they really shouldn't be worrying about inflation protection, or their finances at all, in their situation.
Until/unless they start living well beyond the €20k p.a. (excluding family gifts) budget.

We are a married couple, both about 70. We own a house, a holiday home, and about 50 acres of land that is rented out. We have grown and independent children (to whom we give the maximum tax-free gift each year). We have no debts or other liabilities, and about €2m that is currently in a bank account. We both receive partial state pensions. We enjoy living relatively frugally, so about €20k in spending per year is enough for us to live comfortably.

While we could probably continue on the current path without any worries, we are interested in better protecting our savings from inflation and perhaps earning a slightly better (but low risk) return on them. If there are changes that would make it more efficient for our children to inherit from us, we are also interested in those.

We are uncomfortable with the managed funds that most investment companies advertise, as they seem complex and opaque. We prefer simple products that we can understand, such as index-tracking passive funds. Vanguard's 40/60 LifeStrategy distributing ETF (40% global equities, 60% global bonds) would probably be ideal if it were not so tax inefficient (especially the dividends being taxed at 41%). Investment trusts have received attention on here recently as a tax efficient alternative to provide the diversification of ETFs, but the ones that we have looked at feel risky as their investments are concentrated in a small number of growth companies that seek high returns, and have the risk of generally being based in the UK which might lead to complications in the future. Berkshire Hathaway has also been proposed, but we do not wish to risk being subject to US Estate Tax.

We are considering evenly dividing a substantial portion of our savings between the ten largest companies listed on the Irish stock exchange that have wide geographic exposure (CRH, Ryanair, Smurfit Kappa, etc., but not Glenveagh, for example, as it is focused on Ireland). If we used €1m for this, I expect that it should generate dividend income of about 2% (some companies pay less, or none, but others pay more), which should more than cover our living expenses (when combined with the pension and land rental income). We could then invest €500k in the accumulating version of the Vanguard 20/80 ETF (equities exposure decreased to 20% to compensate for our equity exposure through directly held shares), accepting the taxation inefficiency (and additional work of applying the deemed disposal rule every 8 years) as the cost of lowering risk through greater diversification. We would keep the remaining €500k in a savings account for reassurance. We are comfortable with the somewhat increased volatility compared to our current situation.

One of our concerns with this proposal is that it results in a substantial portion of our wealth being in the type of investments (shares, ETFs, second house) that are likely to be targeted for increased taxation by parties such as Sinn Fein and PBP, should they get into power in the (potentially quite near) future.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have no doubt a lot of hard work has gone into this strong financial position.
Age and all that are very relevant to the discussion.
Where and what is done with the wealth regarding both themselves and the children is also important,
But It is stated that they enjoy living fairly frugually. Nothing wrong with that if thats what floats their boat.

They are asking how best to protect the savings going forward most probably with succession in the back of their minds.
Should they have a change in lifestyle and turn around and start doing the big trips etc protection of the wealth is still very relevant.
No matter what the situation after working hard nobody wants the beasts of inflation or taxation to attack.

Back