Converting gas fireplace to electric

V

Vegas2000

Hi all

We have a gas fireplace in our apartment that we never use. I was wondering if it's possible to convert it to a electric fireplace ? How much would it cost & would I need to buy a new fireplace or could the existing one be used ?

Alternatively, is it possible to disconnect the gas to the fireplace and leave it more as a decorate rather than for use

A separate additional question - in the evening time we can smell gas in our living room only. The gas fire and the gas boiler are in this room But as far as I can tell the smell of gas isn't coming from our appliances. Is it possible that it could be coming from the apartment above us? Their gas vent is just above our livin room window

Thanks all

The gas pipe going into the gas fire can be removed and capped but this must be carried out by a regisrered gas installer. You should have the gas smell checked out as a matter of urgency as this could potentially be extremely dangerous.

If you smell gas it doesn't have to be coming from an appliance. It could come from pipework, fittings, even next door. Do not switch on lights, use flames and open windows. Call An Bord Gais immediately on 1850 20 50 50. It is a 24 hour service and is free. There is no call out charge. Don't take risks with gas leaks, large or small.

Back