Contributory Old Age pension

paulgreen

Hi by my calculations I am around 50 credits short of the 520 needed for a full state pension.
Now I have 27 years in the UK system but Sligo have told me that these cannot be offset
Basically I worked in Ireland for 9 years and I still live here I sort of retired unofficially in 2011 the social awarded me class M contributions but looking at citizens advice it says normally you would get whatever your last contributions were they were A has the social made a mistake????
Anyway could anyone tell me how much I am like to be deducted by not having 10 years of prsi contributions
Assuming that Sligo will treat my UK work record as a totally separate issue

Thanks

A few points:
1. 520 contributions is the minimum you need to get any State Pension
2. Having 520 contributions will not necessarily get you a full State Pension
3. When did you first start paying PRSI in Ireland?
4. When you stopped working in 2011, did you look to “sign-on “ for credits? If not, why not?
5. Ireland operates a Bi-Lateral Social Security Agreement with the U.K. where you can add your U.K. record to your Irish record to maximise your Irish State Pension. So I don’t understand the response from Sligo. What did they say exactly?

A few points:
1. 520 contributions is the minimum you need to get any State Pension
2. Having 520 contributions will not necessarily get you a full State Pension
3. When did you first start paying PRSI in Ireland?
4. When you stopped working in 2011, did you look to “sign-on “ for credits? If not, why not?
5. Ireland operates a Bi-Lateral Social Security Agreement with the U.K. where you can add your U.K. record to your Irish record to maximise your Irish State Pension. So I don’t understand the response from Sligo. What did they say exactly?
Conan may I pick up on your final point please as it’s something I’ve been investigating for some time and with little success? I’m aware that UK NICs can be considered in the Irish system when looking at the state contributory pension but I can only find where it says it can be used to help you “qualify” for the Irish state pension.

You seem to be saying that UK NICs can be used to increase (maximise) one’s Irish state pension.
Might you have a link to the relevant material or operational guidelInes that specifically explains that?

Hi by my calculations I am around 50 credits short of the 520 needed for a full state pension.
Now I have 27 years in the UK system but Sligo have told me that these cannot be offset
Basically I worked in Ireland for 9 years and I still live here I sort of retired unofficially in 2011 the social awarded me class M contributions but looking at citizens advice it says normally you would get whatever your last contributions were they were A has the social made a mistake????
Anyway could anyone tell me how much I am like to be deducted by not having 10 years of prsi contributions
Assuming that Sligo will treat my UK work record as a totally separate issue

Thanks
For the benefit of the OP this post might help.

Conan may I pick up on your final point please as it’s something I’ve been investigating for some time and with little success? I’m aware that UK NICs can be considered in the Irish system when looking at the state contributory pension but I can only find where it says it can be used to help you “qualify” for the Irish state pension.

You seem to be saying that UK NICs can be used to increase (maximise) one’s Irish state pension.
Might you have a link to the relevant material or operational guidelInes that specifically explains that?
If you go to Gov.ie and search for “Operational Guidelines: Application of Bilateral Agreements “.

If you go to Gov.ie and search for “Operational Guidelines: Application of Bilateral Agreements “.
That brings up 564 documents. I know I’ve looked through the bi-lateral agreement itself and I was no clearer at the end of it. If you have the actual document or source to support the claim you’ve made above I’d appreciate it as my own retirement planning needs to consider this aspect. Thanks in advance.

Thanks S Class.

I may have read this exact document before but I’ve studied it again now nevertheless.

In my case, by the time I am entitled to the Irish state pension (2030), I am unable to maximise my Irish state pension using TCA. I hope to get to about 1750 (Irish) contributions. However I worked in the UK for 14 years and am separately paying additional NICs to get this to 35 years (for UK state pension purposes). I may even pay beyond this if I can establish a benefit to me in relation to the Irish pension.

In this operational guideline document I can’t see where it states that social insurance contributions in both UK and Ireland can be added together (aggregated) to maximise the Irish state pension. It covers overlapping periods, cases where one may not qualify for an Irish state pension under the “paid contributions” condition and also where one may be using the “average contributions” method of pension calculation.

However I can see no reference to aggregating social insurance contributions in two jurisdictions where using the TCA pension calculation method. I’ve asked whether this is possible on AAM and have also written to the department, both with little success.

Last edited:
You would be retiring in the changeover period for having your pension determined using a combination of the averaging and TCA. This will begin in 2025 and run to 2035. You might benefit from this.

You would be retiring in the changeover period for having your pension determined using a combination of the averaging and TCA. This will begin in 2025 and run to 2035. You might benefit from this.
Are these dates set in stone now, so anyone hitting retirement after 2035 is definitely going to be doing so on a pure TCA basis?

Mine becomes available Dec 2025 . So I'll maybe be right near the start of the transition. Hopefully shouldn't have too much of a negative impact.

I do appreciate your helpful contributions. :)

I have a spreadsheet working that calculates what I think my Irish state pension will be using a hybrid of TCA and average, based on a 2025 start date. The calculations assume no aggregation between Irish and UK social insurance contributions. It would be great (for me anyway) if that assumption is wrong. Hence my picking up on Conan’s final point in the second posting above.

It‘s interesting that despite asking this question in several different ways on AAM, that a substantiated answer has not materialised, at least not to my attention.

DSP insisting I have their card to even find out what I have paid in down the years, don't seem to have learnt much from their run in with the DPO

DSP insisting I have their card to even find out what I have paid in down the years, don't seem to have learnt much from their run in with the DPO

The agreement* between the DSP and the DPC covers the use of PSCs for this purpose, "provided that an alternative service channel is made available"

So if you don't wish to become a PSC holder, then you need to avail of the alternative service channel (it's called pen and paper!).

* https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/5088f-psc/

Last edited:
No legislation yet, but going on what the current Minister said that's the case. But a new Government might change that. Who knows?
Legislation is coming to allow people to work for longer and claim the pension at a later age in order to maximise contributions.
But from UK you should be able to have UK NI contributions taken into account and vice versa for Irish.

Legislation is coming to allow people to work for longer and claim the pension at a later age in order to maximise contributions.
Will this allow a voluntary contributor to continue paying voluntary PRSI past 66?

Back