Home Contents insurance for apartment

Homer

I've just received a renewal notice for contents insurance for a fairly small one bedroom apartment that my son is living in. Covered for the minimum sum assured. Premium coming in at just over €120 plus further admin charge of €40 from broker.

Not a lot in money terms, but seems high compared to house insurance costs and admin fee is a huge proportion of overall cost. Is there any insurer I can insure with directly or an online broker people would recommend?

Not interested in jeopardising quality of cover for a few quid, but feels like I'm being ripped off (although I know €40 is very little in money terms).

Thanks
Homer

Hey Homer, That's a lot for contents insurance alright, I always get quotes from aoninsure.ie who give you quotes from several different companies, you can compare and examine, and also 123.ie I have found quite good.

Does your son have expensive items in the apt? It may be worth it to look at the value of the items he has versus the excess on the policy, e.g. if he has a laptop worth 1,000 but the policy excess is 500 and the premium is x, is it really worth it, would you make a claim for that. Depends, of course, on the value of the items.

I would recommend that you go online and get a few quotes. The €40 admin is probably going straight to the broker. Most insurance companies directly offer contents only insurance.

I have been insuring my apartment for the last 12 years. During that time the policy cost has gone up from 80 to 100. It is a 2 bedroom apartment and I have an excess of 250. I am currently with FBD. But every year I go online and get a few different quotes.

The 100 price seems fair to me. But that admin fee is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I have my 3 bed duplex ( contents only ) insured with 123.ie for a few years now. Last year's premium was €130, up for renewal next month. This was reasonable.

Thanks folks. I'll go online and see what quotes I get. Seems like I was right in thinking the admin charge is a bit excessive. Probably not worth the broker's time doing the insurance.

I have my home insured through AA insurance. It might be worth checking if they are prepared to provide the cover as an adjunct to my home policy.

They won't provide the cover as an adjunct to your home policy. And they are tied to one insurance company so you may want to try someone who isn't a tied agent.

Back