Condition Of Employment Query?

wwjjd

Hi,

Just about to sign a contract and have a query regarding one of the conditions of employment.

1. The average office based day is 7 hours (excluding breaks). You are responsible for managing your own time and prioritising tasks etc so that these can be completed in an efficient and timely manner during office hours.
2. You will most likely have to work a few evenings over the course of the year; this should be considered part of your remit.
3. XXX will abide by the law (see SFA handbook) and not expect any employee working hours to average above 48 hours per week over a 12 month period and also aim to provide 11 hours rest within every 24 hour period.

Is the term highlighted for my benefit? Or are they saying that I will be working a 48hour week? Any ideas?

Thanks.

The Europenan working time directive caps the average number of hours a person can work in most industries per week at 48. I
Your contract doesn't say you will be working a 48 hour week

I would read that to mean that the employer is aware of the Working Time Act and is making you aware of it, as part of the T&C's of your employment contract. Same as there may be a ref to H&S, or other company procedures. I do not see it as saying you awill be working 48 hours per week.

So it seems like a regular term to put into a contract then?

Thank you for the answers.

Back