Condensing Boiler and Stove

larbar

Hi,
Hoping that I can get a bit of help here.Am close to purchasing a second hand home in rural Ireland with no mains gas option.Living in Dublin, the only knowledge I have of heating a house is both old and new - back boiler from fire place and now natural gas so I am trying to figure out options in this house because the boiler will need replacing.The current boiler is situated in a garage which is separate to the house.
Would anyone know the ball park figure for purchase and installation of a new condensing boiler accepting that there will be regional differences in installation to be factored in.I have a bit of a hankering after an AGA and am wondering does anyone have thoughts on these? I am assuming that they would have to be an add on to a condensing boiler.Thanks in advance.

Added- I see from researching here that when adding a new boiler,the system should be flushed,there should be inhibitors and a commissioning of the boiler.The flushing I understand but so as I know what I am talking about when I contact a gas installer/plumber,what are inhibitors and what is meant by commissioning a boiler?

Go for the AGA. They are brilliant, not just for cooking but also for drying clothes on the overhead rails ( worked by pulley from the ceiling) This also eliminates the need for a tumble dryer. Most good cooks swear by AGAs and the kitchen is always cosy. Your dogs will thank you. Best to just use it without the add on of heating rads. For the rest of the house and hot water its more economical to have a seperate heating system such as a condensing boiler or a log gasification system if the house is large. With an AGA the kitchen will always be warm and welcoming.

Would anyone know the ball park figure for purchase and installation of a new condensing boiler accepting that there will be regional differences in installation to be factored in.

€2300 all in for a 44kw oil fired condensing boiler fitted recently which included removal of the old boiler.

Hi,
Hoping that I can get a bit of help here.Am close to purchasing a second hand home in rural Ireland with no mains gas option.Living in Dublin, the only knowledge I have of heating a house is both old and new - back boiler from fire place and now natural gas so I am trying to figure out options in this house because the boiler will need replacing.The current boiler is situated in a garage which is separate to the house.
I have a bit of a hankering after an AGA and am wondering does anyone have thoughts on these? I am assuming that they would have to be an add on to a condensing boiler.Thanks in advance.

I grew up in a house with an AGA and what Woodsman says above is correct but you will pay for the privilege of having a constantly warm kitchen - it's an awful lot cheaper to turn on the rad in the kitchen! We have an oil fired system with a few open fires but if I was doing it again I would put a solid fuel stove in the kitchen with a back boiler linked in to the heating system. I have a decent supply of free wood though which skews my decision !

Back