Health Insurance Comprehensive Sickness/Health Insurance

Manic Miner

Dear all,

I am looking to purchase health insurance for myself and my wife. I am 40 and she is 38.

Naturally, I would like to buy the cheapest possible policy.

The only problem is that the insurance I buy has to be comprehensive in the sense that it provides a high level of cover across the spectrum. This is an EU law requirement (to have 'Comprehensive Sickness Insurance) as my wife is a non-EU citizen and we are self-sufficient.

Can anyone guide me to the cheapest and best policy?
Thanks,
MM

Last edited:
Manic Miner,

Welcome to AAM.
There are a couple of options worth considering, as follows;

1. Laya Flex 500 Explore; price 715pa(+ lifetime community rating %)
All public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered. There is a 500 euro excess payable per admission to a private or hi-tech hospital for surgery or treatment. Day case visits have an excess of 150 payable per visit. There is limited day to day cover on this plan. This is the cheapest plan
which covers 3 levels of hospital cover.

2. Laya Control 300 Create; price 972pa(+ lifetime community rating %) This lower price applies from 1 December 2016.
All public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered. There is a 300 euro excess payable per admission to a private or hi-tech hospital for surgery or treatment. This a one-off payment on admission, and it does not apply to any public hospital, only private or hi-tech hospitals. Day case visits
have an excess of 125 per visit. There is also extra cover on this plan which covers a private room in any private hospital. There is very good
day to day cover on this plan. At the end of your insurance year, after renewal date, you can claim back 30 per gp visit, 80 per consultant visit etc.

[broken link removed]

Note; Lifetime community rating applies to anybody over 34 taking out health insurance for the first time. There is a 2% loading charge for every year that you are over 34 years. So in your case, age 40 - 34 = 6 x 2% = 12% loading applies.
In your wife's case, 38 - 34 = 4 x 2% = 8% loading applies.
This loading applies indefinitely.
Note; if you had health insurance previously in Ireland, a credit will apply for each year accordingly.

For all new customers, a 5 year waiting time applies for any pre-existing conditions or illnesses.
Any new illnesses or conditions are covered after the first 26 weeks.

Regards, Snowyb

Many thanks for your reply Snowyb.

Does Laya tend to offer more comprehensive cover at the best prices? I understand they have a harsh cancellation policy though?

It seems like a bit of a minefield to try to obtain 'comprehensive' insurance without having more information on what comprehensive means. The only info I have is that it should offer 'one of the highest levels of cover'.

Regards,
MM

Laya healthcare cover the 3 levels of hospital cover - public, private and hi-tech hospitals - at cheapest prices.
The 2 options recommended, include this level of cover. The second option also includes good day to day cover.

Laya also allow a person to switch to a different plan, mid-year if you want.
While Glohealth and Irish Life also allow this, VHI do not allow this outside renewal date.

I think 'comprehensive cover' means that a person is fully insured so that they are not a burden on the state.
Just 'public hospital cover' is not regarded as sufficient.

The two plans recommended would tick these boxes, at the cheapest prices on the market, for the level of cover included.

Note; I'm just wondering if these EU rules also apply strictly to you or just your wife.
While a comprehensive plan will apply to your non-EU wife, are you also subject to these EU rules or could you choose a lower level plan.
Normally, two adults can choose 2 different plans if they wish, so that option may also apply to you as an EU citizen.

Snowyb

Thanks again Snowyb!

We're both subject to the same requirements, and you are spot on that the intended purpose of such a policy is to ensure we don't become a burden on the state. In addition, there isn't a huge amount of guidance on the definition of comprehensive sickness insurance other than it should be a level of insurance that covers most situations.

Those policies that you mentioned both seem like very good choices.

I have a few weeks to decide now.

Thanks for your very helpful advice!

You could look at cigna global if you are not irish. Even your wife on her own if you don't qualify . I was covered by them when abroad and it was brilliant. Almost everything covered and reimbursed immediately. My policy was about 3.5k a year though ( company paid) but other options are available. They do operate in Ireland.

Back