Cold bathroom exterior wall

bobo

Hi, is it ok to just blob standard plasterboard directly onto my bathroom exterior wall blocks using lafarge plasterboard adhesive? The wall is of hollow block construction rendered internally and sealed with PVA. There is no insulation in the wall but i'm not too bothered about that as any insulation is going to take from the size of a small bathroom and surely the plasterboard + air gap will help a little. Since the bathroom is a humid environment is there a risk that this method could cause problems with moisture in the air penetrating painted plasterboard and condensing on the cold exterior wall which could cause a number of problems (mold, plasterboard adhesive unsticking etc)? Would i be better to just put wooden battens 1" thick onto the wall then cover with a multilayer foil insulation then plasterboard taped, jointed and painted? Any thoughts much appreciated.

I think you know the answer to this yourself Bobo.
You'd be mad not to insulate properly.Although you'll lose maybe 2" off the room width by insulating using batons - surely this is preferable to cold areas/heat loss/damp/mould etc..?

Your best bet is to mushroom 38m (or if possible 50mm) eurathane backed plasterboard onto the wall and skim. If you blob them on you'll create a cold bridge. And the possibility of yellow discolouration from the blobs.

Back