Club Website

R

Redbhoy

Hi,

Our club has a chat forum on its website which a lot of people visit. Numerous topics are discussed including the running of the club. People give out about decisions made or ones that are due to be made etc.
Most decisions end up in the lap of our committee so they usually end up getting slated on the forum. Theres talk of them asking for the site to be shut down now. Surely this is against freedom of speech etc. I think this is wrong and that decisions made for a club are open to scrutiny!
Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this issue? Can 'they' close the site? Is there anything that can't be discussed on a club chat forum?

Thanks

Who owns the club forum/website? If the committee have been voted in to their position by the club members, is it not in their remit to control the site?

Cheers
The committee was voted in by the members!
The site was set up and is maintained very well by one of the members(not a committee member). Im not sure if he was paid to do so (i doubt it) but im sure he was paid expenses.

What if.......they do close it, but you set up your own forum, external to the official website? Indicate to those that wish to use a forum of it's presence.

If you are not happy with the committee's decisions, then replace the committee. Or in the best Irish tradition, have a split and set up a new organization.

You may well find that many people are happy to sit back and criticize but not take any action themselves. The committee is getting tired of it.

The committee may well feel exposed to defamation actions. Do the club members post anonymously or openly? You don't see that much rubbish on AAM, because we delete it quickly. But people seem to think that they have a right to say what they want on the internet, whereas they wouldn't be prepared to say it to the person's face or openly where they could be sued.

Brendan

Thanks for your replies folks.
Re: Brendan- Split isn't good for anyone. I agree with you on the people who sit back but a lot of the ones making comments are very pro-active in the clubs affairs just not at committee level.
Re: your last comment- Is it ok to write comments on a website without fear of being sued??

Is it ok to write comments on a website without fear of being sued??
Once your comments are honest and true, I can't see how you could be sued successfully.

Back