Closure of Mobile Home Park after 40 years. Do we have any rights? posted 07-03-2007

Re: Closure of Caravan/Mobile Home Park

Hi

As a follow on to the above would anybody have experience of putting together a Co-Op of Residents with a view to purchasing the site in question.

I know that it has been done in the past in places like Wexford and Clare

Thanks

Bedlam

The closure of Ardmore was discussed by Joe Duffy yesterday.

Bedlam, putting together a committe/company or association to purchase the site isn't difficult. What might be more difficult would be purchasing the site in the first place ie. pricewise.

Ajapale- what was the gist of the show?

Vanilla

The Joe Duffy show and the Irish Examiner covered the issue on Weds & Thurs. of this week. The concerns raised are very much as covered here by yourself over the last number of weeks i.e Mobile Home owners having no rights in a situation where the owner decides to sell up. What the Mobile home owners are looking for is the opening of the park for this summer as a gesture of goodwill.

There are 166 owners involved and the asking price is 7m.

Thanks

Bedlam

So just over €42000 each plus share of stamp duty, costs etc. Then a company ( think it's too big for a residents association) would have to be set up to run the park with contingent costs. What were you paying each year as a licence fee? Then for the future there would have to be agreements as to whether your site can be sold, if so how much for, running the park etc. It could be done I suppose but not without difficulty. If you have access to the names and addresses of all 166 then I suppose the only thing to do is call a meeting and call a vote. I think it will be very hard to get 166 people to agree but I could be pleasantly surprised.

I see they are calling on the owner to open for one last year. I don't see that he/she is under any legal obligation to do so. They may well have their own immediate problems and not be able to do so for whatever reason.

Vanilla,

It is I feel unreasonable of them (the owners) to expect 166 owners to find alternative sites within a 3 month period.. a mobile home measuring 28ft x 10ft isn't exactly something that you can park outside your front dooe.

Coupled with the above is the fact that up to Dec 06 the owners were adamant that they had no intention of closing the site. With the result that owners in good faith upgraded their vans at considerable expense. These same owners are now out of pocket due to a glut of homes on the market. The mobiles are to small for the majority of sites in the area and also Caravan Park owners as a general rule insist that you buy a mobile home directly from them when.

Finally there are people on the site for over 25 years some over 40 years and to expect them to up and out in 3 months is totally unreasonable, regardless of any issues facing them (the owners)

Bedlam

I don't see that three months is unreasonable. You should all have been aware from the start that you had no right or claim to this place. You should have kept this in mind when thinking of upgrading caravans/mobile homes. I'm not sure about this particular park but most I know are run on a seasonal basis- open from April/May to Sept/Oct. You pay for that season. There is never a guarantee that it will be open next year. It's a pity if there is a glut of homes on the market right now but how long could you expect the owner to wait?

Vanilla

As I said in my last post people acted in good faith when changing their Mobile Homes. If it was the case that they (the owners) knew when asked by people about changing that they intended to sell.. then imho opinion the owners were wrong not to inform people accordingly.

Bedlam

Vanilla

As I said in my last post people acted in good faith when changing their Mobile Homes. If it was the case that they (the owners) knew when asked by people about changing that they intended to sell.. then imho opinion the owners were wrong not to inform people accordingly.

Bedlam

I agree.

An update here is that the owners have now decided to re:eek:pen and put the site on the market as a going concern.

Bedlam

Hi, I was just wondering if there is any further updates on this story.

Thanks

Hi Tess11

Yes, the park opened for the 2008 season. With a large increase in the annual rent.

New rules being introduced in 2010 to have van owners cahnge and upgrade their vans where they are deemed to be old and in poor condition.

The park remains in the same ownership.

Bedlam

Hi , I have a mobile home in Wexford and we as residents purchased the park last year , there are a small number of sites now for sale but the residents manage the park so you have control over annual fees and rules.

Have a look at www.kilgormanholidaypark.ie the web site is still under construction but it will give you an idea as to whats on offer in the park.

Back