Climate change - at last someone tells it like it is

Less of the sighing now please. There has been a concerted effort in recent years to portray the idea of a global consensus among climatologists about the theory of anthropogenic global warming. Yet even among the scientists who support the theory (the majority I am happy to accept), there is much disagreement about the severity of the problem, the likely consequences and the possible solutions. Al Gore for example, would be regarded as representing the extremist and largely discredited viewpoint (relying on the flawed "hockey stick" theory of warming). However, it is his proposed solution that is the most prevalent - a drastic decrease in CO2 emissions by industrialised nations.

Consider, for example this excerpt from Carleton University paleo-climatologist and Professor of Geology Tim Patterson's testimony to Canada's Commons Committee on the Environment and Sustainable Development in 2005:

There is no meaningful correlation between CO2 levels and the Earth's temperature… In fact, when CO2 levels were over ten times higher than they are now, about 450 million years ago, the planet was in the depths of the absolute coldest period in the last half billion years. On the basis of this evidence, how could anyone still believe that the recent relatively small increase in CO2 levels would be the major cause of the past century's modest warming?
The consensus is clearly evident in the reports of the IPCC (which despite the above claims, is not, in fact, "a political advocacy body with a political agenda." The IPCC's brief is to evaluate the state of climate science as a basis for informed policy action, rather than make policy itself. You could argue that it is in a strong position to influence policy were it to be taken over by individuals with a political agenda. If there is compelling evidence for this, I'd like to see it.)

It is its continual portrayal of a consensus view that makes me suspect that the IPCC has a political agenda. This is furthered by their evident support for Al Gore, who has himself has admitted to making exaggerated claims to further his cause.

There have been a number of allegations by scientists that their views were misrepresented by the IPCC or that their peer-reviewed papers were edited by the panel after the peer-reviewing process. However, many of these allegations are from people who are very much biased against the idea of anthropogenic global warming (I don't consider myself in this group - I fully accept it may be true, my concerns lie with the proposed solution).

But the IPCC is not alone. Countless other scientific bodies (National Academy of Sciences; American Meteorological Society; American Geophysical Union; American Association for the Advancement of Science, and many, many more) have issued statements concluding that the evidence for anthropogenic global warming is compelling.

Do all of these organisations believe that we can reverse the Earth's temperature trend by lowering our CO2 emissions?

The notion that there is a lack of consensus is repeatedly promoted by the sceptics. But there is more evidence for consensus than there is for a lack of consensus. Even the theory that opposing scientists are afraid to speak out against the global warming theory for fear of losing funding and grant research (a theory which insults the integrity of all scientists) is very much in dispute - [broken link removed] New Scientist article suggests that the opposite is more likely to be the case, i.e. that there is more pressure on scientists to deny that a problem exists.

I think you might be making too much of the integrity of scientists ;-) But I agree, it is hard to imagine, given the current US administration that there is serious political pressure being applied to force support for climate change (although note how Bush has taken advantage of the theory to support the largest farm subsidy programme since Roosevelt's New Deal).

Also, is there fundamentally any difference between global warming sceptics receiving funding from Exxon Mobil and Al Gore's involvement with Generation Investment Management?

It seems more likely to me that the political agenda lies with those who dismiss the whole anthropogenic global warming argument as nonsense.

Agreed. However, I think you do a disservice to the sceptics to portray them all as dismissing anthropogenic global warming out of hand. Even if the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has a direct correlation with warmer temperatures, the solution of diverting fossil fuel resources away from countries that use them the most efficient manner (US, Germany and Japan) towards the countries that use them in the least efficient way (China, India and Russia) seems completely illogical.

Lest I be guilty of moving the goalposts mid-debate, here is a summation of my four main beliefs regarding global warming theory.

1) There is no overwhelming consensus among climatologists regarding anthropogenic global warming theory. It enjoys majority support but there are many disagreements even within this.

2) The Earth has experienced a number of cooling and warming periods throughout its long history. Most of these occurred before humans inhabited the planet. Thus far, global temperatures do not appear to have exceeded the bounds of these older periods of climate change.

3) There is a huge amount of money to be made by supporting a particular set of solutions to the global warming problem. Namely, the reduction of CO2 emissions and the use of non-fossilised fuel sources. These are supported hugely by those who lean to the left of the political spectrum, hence the calls for government subsidisation of every possible *green* initiative and the inherent anti-American bias.

4) Even if reducing the amount of CO2 we produce will reverse the global warming trend, it is absolutely pointless to spend vast amounts of money trying to enforce changes now when hitting peak oil in the next two decades will drastically reduce our emissions regardless.

4) Even if reducing the amount of CO2 we produce will reverse the global warming trend, it is absolutely pointless to spend vast amounts of money trying to enforce changes now when hitting peak oil in the next two decades will drastically reduce our emissions regardless.

Not necessarily if we start ramping up the use of coal to offset declines in oil and gas. And there is still plenty (~half) of the oil and gas left in the ground to burn. Even if we do attempt to reduce the CO2 output (of the world's current 6.5 billion inhabitants) the likelihood is that any gains in that area will be largely offset by the CO2 output of the extra 2-3 billion people who are projected to be around by 2050. Herein lies the real crux of the issue - unsustainable human population growth in a finite world. Too many people, not enough planet/resources. Extrapolate out the consequences depending on which side of the fence you sit w.r.t. where it's all heading.

Herein lies the real crux of the issue - unsustainable human population growth in a finite world. Too many people, not enough planet/resources.
I'm not sure this is true. Have you read Kevin Cahill's book? You can hear him speak about it here:

He points out that there are 5acres of land for every human being on the planet, and that the scarcity of land is a myth.
Of course your point on the scarcity of resources is another issue, and I'd have to agree with that from the information I have at the moment.

I'm not sure this is true. Have you read Kevin Cahill's book? You can hear him speak about it here:

He points out that there are 5acres of land for every human being on the planet, and that the scarcity of land is a myth.
Of course your point on the scarcity of resources is another issue, and I'd have to agree with that from the information I have at the moment.

Never heard of Kevin Cahill but am aware of the land area per person breakdown. Of the surface land how much is actually useable in a real human sense once you take away desert, high altitude regions, forest regsions, etc. These regions can only sustain a very low density population and I would say you're looking at ~1 acre per person once you discount these uninhabitable or low-density habitable areas. Do we just keep increasing the population until we get to a certain level of X people per acre? That's what yeast in a petri dish would do - are humans smarter than yeast? I figure we'll find over the course of this century.

I would say you're looking at ~1 acre per person once you discount these uninhabitable or low-density habitable areas.

Is this just a guess though? Kevin Cahill actually has the research done. And that is a common thread in the debate here on climate change - how much of it is 'I would say' and how much of it is well researched?

Is this just a guess though?

No, there was a chapter about it in a book I read a while back but I was recalling from memory. Here is a link to some info on the topic.
http://one-simple-idea.com/Environment1.htm
Not proclaiming it to be truth, if you doubt it, google it.

Kevin Cahill actually has the research done.
Granted he may have and I'll try to listen to the mp3 you linked if I get around to it but (and I don't mean to come across as sarcastic here) coming up with 5 acres per person is simple math derived from dividing the earth's land surface by human population, both numbers well established.

Less of the sighing now please. There has been a concerted effort in recent years to portray the idea of a global consensus among climatologists about the theory of anthropogenic global warming. Yet even among the scientists who support the theory (the majority I am happy to accept), there is much disagreement about the severity of the problem, the likely consequences and the possible solutions. Al Gore for example, would be regarded as representing the extremist and largely discredited viewpoint (relying on the flawed "hockey stick" theory of warming). However, it is his proposed solution that is the most prevalent - a drastic decrease in CO2 emissions by industrialised nations.

Consider, for example this excerpt from Carleton University paleo-climatologist and Professor of Geology Tim Patterson's testimony to Canada's Commons Committee on the Environment and Sustainable Development in 2005:

It is its continual portrayal of a consensus view that makes me suspect that the IPCC has a political agenda. This is furthered by their evident support for Al Gore, who has himself has admitted to making exaggerated claims to further his cause.

There have been a number of allegations by scientists that their views were misrepresented by the IPCC or that their peer-reviewed papers were edited by the panel after the peer-reviewing process. However, many of these allegations are from people who are very much biased against the idea of anthropogenic global warming (I don't consider myself in this group - I fully accept it may be true, my concerns lie with the proposed solution).

Do all of these organisations believe that we can reverse the Earth's temperature trend by lowering our CO2 emissions?

I think you might be making too much of the integrity of scientists ;-) But I agree, it is hard to imagine, given the current US administration that there is serious political pressure being applied to force support for climate change (although note how Bush has taken advantage of the theory to support the largest farm subsidy programme since Roosevelt's New Deal).

Also, is there fundamentally any difference between global warming sceptics receiving funding from Exxon Mobil and Al Gore's involvement with Generation Investment Management?

Agreed. However, I think you do a disservice to the sceptics to portray them all as dismissing anthropogenic global warming out of hand. Even if the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has a direct correlation with warmer temperatures, the solution of diverting fossil fuel resources away from countries that use them the most efficient manner (US, Germany and Japan) towards the countries that use them in the least efficient way (China, India and Russia) seems completely illogical.

Lest I be guilty of moving the goalposts mid-debate, here is a summation of my four main beliefs regarding global warming theory.

1) There is no overwhelming consensus among climatologists regarding anthropogenic global warming theory. It enjoys majority support but there are many disagreements even within this.

2) The Earth has experienced a number of cooling and warming periods throughout its long history. Most of these occurred before humans inhabited the planet. Thus far, global temperatures do not appear to have exceeded the bounds of these older periods of climate change.

3) There is a huge amount of money to be made by supporting a particular set of solutions to the global warming problem. Namely, the reduction of CO2 emissions and the use of non-fossilised fuel sources. These are supported hugely by those who lean to the left of the political spectrum, hence the calls for government subsidisation of every possible *green* initiative and the inherent anti-American bias.

Superb post Room305.

Broadcast: 07/03/2005
Journalist puts global warming sceptics under the spotlight
Reporter: Tony Jones

TONY JONES: Now to our guest. Author and journalist Ross Gelbspan has taken on the global-warming sceptics in a series of books and articles. His latest book is called The Heat Is On: The Climate Crisis, The Cover-Up and The Prescription. I spoke to him just a short time ago in Boston.

TONY JONES: Ross Gelbspan, thank you for joining us.

ROSS GELBSPAN: My pleasure, Tony. Thank you for having me on.

TONY JONES: Now, no matter how many scientists or governments sign up to the idea that the planet is getting dangerously hotter, you still find there's a hard core of committed sceptics, many of them reputable scientists like Professor Richard Lindzen from MIT. Can I ask you first: what if they're right?

ROSS GELBSPAN: If they're right and catastrophic future, then we still, I think, would be doing the right thing by changing away from coal and oil to clean energy. That would clear the air, it would do away with a lot of lung diseases, it would create lots and lots of jobs, especially in developing countries, so I really see it as a no-lose situation. If they're right, we are still going to run out of oil in another 40, 50 years, the world will be, and we'll still need to make this transition, albeit without the same amount of urgency.

TONY JONES: The sceptics try to make the point that global warming is nothing but a theory. I mean, can you counter that? Is it more than a theory now, at this point?

ROSS GELBSPAN: Well, first of all, step back for one second, and what we know about the climate comes from more than 2,000 scientists from 100 countries, reporting to the UN in what is the largest and most rigorously peer-reviewed scientific collaboration in history. This is about as close to truth as we can get. If you want to go beyond the science and look at the very visible impacts, we can see that we are heating the deep oceans, we have reversed the carbon cycle by 400,000 years, we're seeing a big increase of violent weather all over the world, we've altered the timing of the seasons. All over the world, fish, insects birds, plants and animals are migrating toward the poles in search of temperature stability. So if you put together all the evidence, the scientific evidence, the field evidence, it really seems like a very open-and-shut case.

TONY JONES: Why, then, are the sceptics so passionate about the arguments they're putting forward, and they are putting them forward with incredible passion. Richard Lindzen, who we just mentioned, for example, compares global warming to eugenics as an abuse of science.

ROSS GELBSPAN: Well, Mr Lindzen does, but Mr Lindzen is really sort of out there on a limb. I don't know very many supporters of Mr Lindzen who are not in the pay of the fossil fuel lobby. Dr Lindzen himself, his research is publicly funded, but Dr Lindzen makes, as he told me, $2,500 a day consulting with fossil fuel interests, and that includes his consulting with OPEC, his consulting with the Australian coal industry, his consulting with the US coal industry and so forth. That's not to say Dr Lindzen doesn't believe what he says, but it is to say that he stands in very sharp distinction to really just about virtually all of the climate scientists around the world.

TONY JONES: Is it also becoming a little hip to be sceptical? I mean, we've now seen Lindzen's influence creeping into popular culture. We have, for example, Michael Crichton's new novel, State of Fear, in which the hero is a global warming sceptic who roams the world for a secret US agency defeating evil environmentalists. I mean, this is so turning on its head the kind of popular mythology that we've seen in the past that you wonder where it's coming from.

ROSS GELBSPAN: You do. I think Dr Lindzen, with whom I've met, has just a streak of contrarianism in his personality, and it could be that Michael Crichton does, too. I don't know Michael Crichton. I do know that the science that's advanced in Michael Crichton's book is really bogus and it simply does not hold up to examination at all. There's a very good web site that a number of climate scientists put together called realclimate.org to show where all the flaws in Crichton's thinking are.

TONY JONES: One of the things the sceptics have in common is an incredible passion, it seems to me, and they seem to match the passion of some environmentalists. Recently we had on our program President Putin's reputed economic adviser, Andre Illarionov, who claims that global warming science is nothing but propaganda and the scientists who put it forward are a dangerous totalitarian sect. Now, how influential are people like Illarionov?

ROSS GELBSPAN: I gather he's not that influential, even in Russia, because President Putin did sign on to the Kyoto protocol. I know he is a darling of the right-wing institutes like the Kato Institute and others in the United States that are fighting against action on global warming. But in the big picture, I really don't see them having very much influence on what's going on, especially with the world having signed Kyoto and moved forward. Again, to put this in context, if I can, while the US is dragging its heels because the Bush administration is certainly lined up with coal and oil interests, look at what's happening in Europe. Holland has just finished a plan to cut her emissions by 80 per cent in 40 years; Tony Blair has committed the UK to cuts of 60 per cent in 50 years; the Germans have committed to cuts of 50 per cent in 50 years; and about two weeks ago, President Chirac of France called on the industrial world to cut their emissions by 75 per cent in 45 years, and clearly, these leaders would not be taking these wrenching policy pronouncements if they did not - if they had any real confusion about the science.

TONY JONES: Whose advice, then, is the Bush White House taking on major scientific issues like this, and in particular on global warming? What is the US Academy of Sciences saying, for example, and do they have any influence in the White House?

ROSS GELBSPAN: The National Academy of Sciences, it's very interesting. Several years ago, President Bush said he did not want to accept the findings of this intergovernmental panel because it represented foreign science, so he wanted the United States' own scientific body to weigh in. The National Academy of Sciences then came out with a report saying not only is the IPCC right, they're actually underestimating some of the impacts that we'll be feeling down the road. So clearly, the President did not take that advice. The President's policies on climate and energy are essentially being dictated by Exxon-Mobil, Peabody Coal and some of the other large coal and oil interests. For example, the previous head of the intergovernmental panel on climate change was Dr Robert Watson. He was an Australian-born scientist. Watson was very, very highly regarded, both for his own scientific expertise and the way he ran this whole IPCC, and when President Bush was elected, Exxon-Mobil sent him a memo saying, "Please get rid of Watson. We don't want Watson in there." In fact, President Bush decided not to support Watson's re-election and he got bumped out of that job. So that's a quick example of the kind of influence that we're seeing of the oil and coal industries in the Bush administration.

TONY JONES: What do you make of the argument that's going on within the environmental movement that the situation is so pressing, we are so close to a tipping point, that the only way of actually saving the planet is to move quickly to nuclear energy on a large scale?

ROSS GELBSPAN: Nuclear waste, as you know, needs to be protected for at least 10,000 years, and that is a promise we cannot in good conscience make to future generations. There is no known way of really storing nuclear waste. And in fact, there is not very many people in the environmental community who are promoting this. But I think it's important, Tony, to go back to one thing you said. This sense of urgency is not coming first from the environmental community; it is coming from the scientific community, and Dr Rajendra Pachauri, an energy expert who is head of the intergovernmental panel said recently we have a 10-year window in which to make severe cuts in our carbon uses if "humanity is to survive". That science is based on a very simple fact. It's based on the measurements of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. For 10,000 years we had the same amount, 280 parts per million, until the world began to industrialise about 150 years ago. That 280 is now up to 380. That is a level this planet has not experienced for 420,000 years. In another 10 to 20 years, at current rates of emissions, we will surpass the 400 part per million mark, and that for many scientists is a real point of no return, because that will raise the planet's temperature by two degrees celsius from pre-industrial levels and that is the temperature at which all kinds of planetary systems really begin to change and sort of spiral out of control until they snap into a new equilibrium. So we are a very small distance away from really seeing things, sort of, get out of control in ways we can't even predict.

TONY JONES: Just to once again look at the sceptics' argument, just to get your impression of it, Illarionov's central argument is that the present period of global warming - he admits there is a period global warming - is nothing more, he claim, than a normal fluctuation as we've seen throughout the world's history, and this is a view put by sceptical geographers, if you like.

ROSS GELBSPAN: That's true, and that is indeed a central question. And in 1998 - I'm sorry, in 1988, the United Nations set up this panel of scientists to address precisely that question. The UN said, "Look, the temperature's going up, we don't know if this is due to natural variations or whether this is due to human activities." The scientists worked very hard, they performed a number of experiments by which they distinguished greenhouse warming from our burning of fossil fuels from natural warming, and they concluded in 1995 that this was due to human activity and those findings have only become more strengthened and I won't bore you with a lot of the science but I'd love to give you one quick experiment that's very, very telling and that's this: that climate scientists have discovered that as earth's temperature is rising, the night-time low temperatures are rising twice as fast as the day-time high temperature. That's because the carbon dioxide and the other greenhouses gases are trapping the heat in overnight. That is an indisputable fact. If it were natural warming, the highs and lows would rise and fall in parallel. I think there's a rather tragic consequence of that finding, and we saw that in the summer before last, where we had 35,000 heat deaths in Europe, and I think the reason for those fatalities lies in the fact that when a person's body becomes heat stressed during the day-time and they don't get the normal night-time cooling to allow them to recuperate, it takes this terrible toll on people's bodies. So that night-time low finding is one of about 8 or 9 what are so-called signature experiments that have distinguished greenhouse warming from natural variability.

TONY JONES: Let me can you one final question and it is a critical one, because once again, it's something the sceptics claim doesn't really exist. And that is: scientific consensus on this issue of global warming. How do you measure scientific consensus?

ROSS GELBSPAN: Well, I think the issue of peer review is critical. And if you look at all the peer-reviewed work of people who are researching various aspects of the climate, there is virtually no research that has been peer reviewed that says this is not happening. And so there is a very strong consensus, and as I say, this IPCC looks at the work of more than 2,000 scientists from 100 countries, and they conclude that there is really no challenge to the larger trends. There are disputes about a lot of second-level questions. There are disputes about the rates of future warming, about specific impacts in geographical regions, about the role of clouds, for example, some clouds reflect heat, some clouds trap in heat, but in terms of the larger trends, there is a consensus, there is no dispute among any real credentialed scientists about what is happening and even Dr Lindzen acknowledges it's happening. He just sort of dismisses it as being negligible.

The politicalisation of GW has really hampered any kind of rational debate. The Left instinctively agree with it as any remedies with have to occur through centralised action. The Right are suspicious that it's being used as a Trojan Horse by the Left to exert centralised control.
Scientific proof of Global Warming is impossible. Rather than endlessly debate the evidence which most of us are ill equipped to judge, I think we should move on to assess the risks/rewards of action versus inaction.
If you agree that Global Warming is a possibility, what actions might ameliorate/prevent it? What are the cost/analyses of such action? Is it worth taking action even in the face of uncertainty?
Personally I think that a number of actions taken by the first world in particular would be relatively painless and show leadership on this issue.

What's the point in posting this lengthy piece, without even bothering to give any perspective on its source and the backgrounds of the individuals quoted therin?

You might as well be talking about Wallace and Gromit for all I know of Tony Jones, Ross Gelbspan etc

Not necessarily if we start ramping up the use of coal to offset declines in oil and gas.

Even the US automakers, whose long and chequered history contains some rather baffling decisions, are unlikely to try and roll-out a coal-fired automobile.

Nor do I think Boeing or Airbus have ever given much serious thought to coal-driven commerical aircraft ...

The politicalisation of GW has really hampered any kind of rational debate. The Left instinctively agree with it as any remedies with have to occur through centralised action. The Right are suspicious that it's being used as a Trojan Horse by the Left to exert centralised control.
Scientific proof of Global Warming is impossible. Rather than endlessly debate the evidence which most of us are ill equipped to judge, I think we should move on to assess the risks/rewards of action versus inaction.

This is an interesting point. The angle the Cato Institute tends to adopt in respect of the global warming debate is that even if the IPCC is correct, the economic damage entailed by such drastic declines in CO2 output is simply not worth it. They also (rightly in my opinion) point out that the Chinese are far more likely to become concerned about the issue when they are in a similar position of wealth as industrialised countries. Equally, developing countries will be better able to deal with the problems presented by climate change when they are fully industrialised.

For anyone who couldn't be bothered to read through that diatribe I will summate it in one sentence.

Global warming advocate claims sceptics are in the pay of Exxon Mobil.

Even the US automakers, whose long and chequered history contains some rather baffling decisions, are unlikely to try and roll-out a coal-fired automobile.

Nor do I think Boeing or Airbus have ever given much serious thought to coal-driven commerical aircraft ...

I meant it in the context of increased coal use for power generation (as is already happening) rather than the some type of mass Fischer-Tropsch process for the transport sector.

Although the idea of a coal(derived)-powered aircarft may not be as outlandish as it sounds...
[broken link removed]

I wouldn't bet against on a whole host of increasing dirty power sources being used to power national/regional economies (as opposed to the "world economy") once the oil/gas decline starts to really bite and the climate be damned.

Thanks for the objective summary. room305,

Teabag posted an entire unreferenced interview between two people nobody has ever heard of, verbatim, without even an introductory comment. The interview itself is filled with some fairly outlandish claims, none of which are backed up by any references to source material.

Given the context, I felt my summary was quite balanced.

Given the context, I felt my summary was quite balanced.

It's a summary of a radio interview - hardly going to contain detailed references and sources. It takes a few clicks of any search engine to investigate Gelbspan's credentials. While I haven't personally heard of him before, I can't immediately find any good reason to question his motives. The quoted interview is really a pretty basic summary of the debate so far and contains little that hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far.

The feedback effect of greenhouse gases on climate is not, in fact, disputed by any credible scientists - it's a measurable physical effect, and was predicted long before global warming theories became "fashionable".

Neither is it disputed that human activities such as fossil fuel burning, deforestation, agriculture etc make a significant contribution to the increase in greenhouse gases.

What is disputed by sceptics is whether the (measurable) greenhouse gases produced by human activity are in fact responsible for the global warming that correlates to this activity. It's fair enough to dispute that, as of course an observed correlation is not proof of anything.

No other credible theory has emerged, however. Many alternative theories have been put forward (e.g. "what we are seeing is part of the natural temperature cycles experienced by the earth"; "changes in the earth's magnetic field are responsible"; "it's caused by solar radiation," to name just a few).

None of these alternative theories have survived the intense peer review processes of organisations such as the IPCC, and in fact the anthropogenic CO2 theory is the only credible theory to have emerged so far.

Hopefully the experts are all wrong.

It's a summary of a radio interview - hardly going to contain detailed references and sources. It takes a few clicks of any search engine to investigate Gelbspan's credentials. While I haven't personally heard of him before, I can't immediately find any good reason to question his motives.

Really? You can't see how anyone wrote a book entitled "Boiling Point: How Politicians, Big Oil and Coal, Journalists and Activists Are Fueling the Climate Crisis--And What We Can Do to Avert Disaster" could have a vested interest in maintaining that anthropogenic global warming sceptics are in the pay of Exxon-Mobil?

The quoted interview is really a pretty basic summary of the debate so far and contains little that hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far.

I doubt anyone could accuse the interview of balance but I thought this quote was a little suspect if nothing else:

If you want to go beyond the science and look at the very visible impacts, we can see that we are heating the deep oceans, we have reversed the carbon cycle by 400,000 years, we're seeing a big increase of violent weather all over the world, we've altered the timing of the seasons. All over the world, fish, insects birds, plants and animals are migrating toward the poles in search of temperature stability. So if you put together all the evidence, the scientific evidence, the field evidence, it really seems like a very open-and-shut case.

Irrespective of whether the Earth's warming trend is anthropogenic in nature or not, it must take at least 100 years or more to heat the deep ocean. Yet CO2 output has only been increasing significantly since the post world war II industrialisation. Surely this would work against the thesis of CO2 emissions being the cause?

None of these alternative theories have survived the intense peer review processes of organisations such as the IPCC, and in fact the anthropogenic CO2 theory is the only credible theory to have emerged so far.

So even though as you admit the theory of CO2 led anthropogenic global warming is far from certain, you are comfortable with governments making potentially catastrophic changes to how we live our lives, "just in case"?

As David Evans of Science Speak, a former global warming advocate but more recent sceptic, wrote in this article:

The case for carbon emissions as the cause of global warming now just boils down to the fact that we know that it works in the laboratory, and that there is no strong evidence that global warming is definitely *not* caused by carbon emissions. Much the same can be said of cosmic rays -- we have laboratory evidence that it works, and no definitely contradictory evidence.

What's the point in posting this lengthy piece, without even bothering to give any perspective on its source and the backgrounds of the individuals quoted therin?

You might as well be talking about Wallace and Gromit for all I know of Tony Jones, Ross Gelbspan etc

Sorry, my apologies to you and room305. I posted that interview without perspective and I have been offline a while.
Ross Gelbspan is an american writer. I read one of his books 'The Heat Is On: Climate Crisis, the Cover-Up & the Prescription' and found it very interesting. I saw him being interviewed and he seemed to know his stuff. I have no idea who Tony Jones is. I just thought the questions and answers were relevant at this point in the discussion even though room305 disagrees.

One thing though. I went for a jolly swim in Galway Bay on Christmas Day and I could find no evidence of the oceans heating up...

Back