Clare county council & proof of household charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me paying the fees of my student is difficult,and yet he is with others who are on grants,who have no need to work part time,who go on weekends away,who can afford to go on nights out etc.
For a 100 euro investment you get 2500 euro, that's a bargain!

€2500 to cover weekends away, nights out, accomodation for 9 months, and other associated costs without working part time. So your saying that €69 per week allows someone to do all of those things?

Totally sick to death of the household charge debate . Its not a measly 2 euros a week that a lot of posters are saying, its what to come down the line
they have tried and used so many tactics .
next it will be the council painting your front door in big red letters
NONPAYER
If they are going down the line of saying that you are not tax compliant then they should apply this mantra to grants for home insulation , farm grants the list is endless . It has to be illegal .

Thanks truth seeker.

So it looks like the onus is on the student to determine who the property owner is and to find out the property owners PPS number! It appears that this has to be done even in the case of tenants.

Remember tenants are not liable for the HC but it seems tenant students are being forced to be some kind of private detectives to determine the HC tax status of their landlords. This is outrageous.

aj

Thanks truth seeker.

So it looks like the onus is on the student to determine who the property owner is and to find out the property owners PPS number! It appears that this has to be done even in the case of tenants.

Remember tenants are not liable for the HC but it seems tenant students are being forced to be some kind of private detectives to determine the HC tax status of their landlords. This is outrageous.

aj
i wouldnt worry about it too much, it was a 'cheap shot' thats never going to work!

I wouldnt be so sure it wont work, it was a hot topic around the water cooler today, and certainly jitters were apparant in some who hitherto argued vehemently against paying.

Its not going to get everyone logging in to pay, but people are starting to realise payment is unavoidable.

Does any one know:

If you have a commercial premises, do they delay your child's grant if your rates are not up to date?

If you are a council tenant, does having rent arrears on your account cause the same delay?

Just wondering whether the councils who are looking for proof of HC payment are being consistent - they are saying HC is supposed to fund the admin staff who process the grants but rates and rent are also a major source of income?

I also wonder how many TDs have paid and how many of those in the county council who are collecting it and sending letters to others about it have actually paid it.
A poster mentioned my figure of 2500 earlier of being used for accommodation, nights out etc working it out at 69 euro per week well you missed the point, they get their fees paid and some maintenance grant due to distance which means his parents don't have to pay anything except his 'fun money 'whereas some of us have to pay the lot of it.

Its not going to get everyone logging in to pay, but people are starting to realise payment is unavoidable.

When did anyone not realise that, the late payment schedule of interest and penalties is in black and white on the website :rolleyes:

Id be interested to know the numbers on this latest unethical shambles. Over 600,000 still have not paid, how many of these (a) have a student in 3rd level who is (b) applying for a grant where (c) the parents are homeowners who have not paid the HC.

I think it's a good idea. Nobody wanted to pay this charge. A lot of people (including myself) are struggling - but I paid the charge and will have to find the money next year to pay it also, because it's the law.

I know lots of people who have not paid it (most of whom are better off than I am) and the only one's that have received any reminder are ones who have 2nd properties who have registered with the NPPR. Obhiously there seems to be a problem compliling a list of household's via ESB etc, therefore Clare Co Co are simply thinking outside the box as to how to collect it and I think other's should follow suit.

Does any one know:

If you have a commercial premises, do they delay your child's grant if your rates are not up to date?

If you are a council tenant, does having rent arrears on your account cause the same delay?

Just wondering whether the councils who are looking for proof of HC payment are being consistent - they are saying HC is supposed to fund the admin staff who process the grants but rates and rent are also a major source of income?

Good point.

there is an excuse for a spokesman from
clare council on local radio now trying to wriggle out of the mess they have put themselves in and had to admit that the grant could not be withheld.

we should look at the allowances that clare council members or workers claim.

I also wonder how many TDs have paid and how many of those in the county council who are collecting it and sending letters to others about it have actually paid it.
A poster mentioned my figure of 2500 earlier of being used for accommodation, nights out etc working it out at 69 euro per week well you missed the point, they get their fees paid and some maintenance grant due to distance which means his parents don't have to pay anything except his 'fun money 'whereas some of us have to pay the lot of it.

I don't think any point was missed, it does work out at €69 per week, and you said that they can have weekends away and nights out without having to work part time, I was just pointing out the flaw in your argument.

yeah just listened to that on the raido, seems like they now trying to crawl out of a hole they dug themselves into!

clare fm and it was NOT a council decision, it was a management one. The finance guy was talking but at the end left it as " those who reply to letter to say charge was paid will be processed quicker than those who do not reply or who do reply to say charge has not been paid." The money goes straight to the student bank anyway so why bother.

Its a nasty trick aimed at the weak and typical of ireland. NAMA should adopt those tactics and get some of our money back instead of paying salaries to those who ruined us.

A poster proposed actually disqualifying claimants from benefits unless tax affairs were all in order.

I was not suggesting that claimants be disqualified at all, just speculating that this move by Clare county council could be the thin end of a wedge and the government may extend it to other areas where it gives money to people.
For example, if someone claims back €200 on the Med 1 form but has not paid the household charge, the €100 could be deducted formt this.
Or in the case of child benefit, if the applicant has not paid the charge, the €100 could be deducted from the first month (whihc is €140 per child).

It would require a line on these forms asking if the applicant has paid the household charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back