Claiming tax back before i go travelling

L

learoy

Hi all
Here is my question, I am thinking about going travelling to Australia for a yr or 2 and I was wonder would I be able to claim back any tax I’ve paid since I have been working. I have been working for about 2yrs in Ireland and I roughly pay about 500euro a month between PAYE and PRSI, is there any way I can claim some of this back just like I used to do when I was in college and claiming tax back from summer work?

Thank you
Learoy

Do a search for existing threads dealing with similar queries to yours here. I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed before more than once.

you can claim back a certain amount of this years tax it depends when you leave how much you get. Now is probably a good time to go as we are half way through the year and you should get all this years tax back.

Thank you for your response,
I was not planning on going travelling till next january, seeming as that is the start of the yr does that mean i will not be entitled to claim any tax back?

Just wondering clubman (sorry to change the topic) does this P50 count if your returning to full time education in september (mature student been working 7 yrs),

As far as I know it does. It's basically a way for you to claim back tax that ends up being overpaid due to your annual tax credits going unused over a period of time. Where one becomes unemployed during the year but returns to employment in the same year this stuff should balance out via payroll or via a P21 balancing statement at the end of the year. If you stop working mid year and are not going to return then P50 and/or P21 balancing statement at the end of the year is the way to go to get a refund of tax overpaid.

Back