Claiming PRSI Credits

mimmi

My OH has been out of work since May, we assumed he's get nothing as I knew he didn't have enough PRSI credits in 2005 for Jobseekers Benefit. As I've been folliowing posts on this forum for a few weeks, I belatedly realised that he could claim credits - important for pension etc, so I despatched him to local Social Welfare. He asked about back-dating and was told he'd have to provide a reason why he didn't claim originally - ignorance of your rights is not a reason apparently. He wrote a letter and was told wait up to 8 weeks for a decision.

Anyway, he got a letter today - only a week later, and has been granted credits from now but not been allowed back-dated credits, the ignorance not an excuse arguement.

Question - Is it worth appealing? If he is unfortunate to be unemployed in 2009 - he's that awkward age (late 40s) so I'm taking a pessimistic view, he wont have 39 credits - he'll be 6 short bases on this year and his gap of credits.

Any advice please.

You'll lose nothing by appealing the decision, and it does mean that the case file is looked at by another person/office who might offer a different opinion.

You cannot appeal this. It was a request to sign back and no official decision was made other than turning down that request.

Back