Claiming back on VHI v Social Welfare

A

AV0506

Hi. I'm really confused and I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. I have a VHI policy with Healthsteps. I recently received a claim form from VHI saying I can claim back for GP visits, Pre/Post Natal Care, Dentist Fees etc. I have receipts for these expenses, however, I was under the impression that I needed to claim back for these expenses from Social Welfare on a MED1 & MED2 Forms. Can anyone tell me which I should be claiming back from? Thanks!

Re: Claining back on VHI v Social Welfare

afaik, you can claim from vhi first and any thing that is not covered by your insurance, you pass onto the social welfare, i think social may ask you if you have already past it to vhi first for what would be due to you.... not 100% sure... just checked the webiste, http://www.vhi.ie/pdf/claims/healthstepssilver.pdf
they don't send back receipts, so make a copy of them prior to sending them.. might be easier to call em

Re: Claining back on VHI v Social Welfare

You should claim back anything possible on your VHI policy.
You should then claim tax back on all other medical expenses using a Med1 form, which has nothing to do wioth Social welfare, but is a tax relief.

You will get tax back, so if you are paying tax at 42%, that is what you will get back.

Back