Christmas Presents for nieces

JohnBoy

Hi all,

I am looking for a few suggestions for Christmas presents for my two nieces (5 & 7 yrs old). They already have enough clothes, toys, books & DVDs so I am looking for something a little more unusual. I have in mind an activity day that involves something creative (pottery, painting etc) or perhaps a puppet show.

I don't live in Ireland but my nieces live in Dublin so I am out of the loop on how to entertain/amuse children in Dublin.

Thanks in advance,

JohnBoy

The Chester Beatty Library does activity afternoons like this as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure the zoo does something as well and the National Gallery if they're at all into drawing. Most of the museums probably do something like this aimed at kids.

If you were able to arrange something like this for a time when you are home and can bring them yourselves it'd be fantastic. I've consistently found with my nieces and nephews that it's not the big expensive presents they're mad for (although they do seem to be fond of them too) but they love spending time with me, especially if I bring them out without their parents.

I strongly agree with giving time/activities rather than junky toys, though I've no particular recommendations for that age group - Would [broken link removed] help?

Thanks for the suggestions - I too am no fan of too many toys (especially the ones that make really annoying sounds - the ones my daughter likes!).

If I find anything useful I will put a further post on this site for all those looking for peace & quiet on Christmas morning.

JohnBoy

If you don't find an activity day out, and are interested in crafts, have a look at www.craftsupplies.ie We ordered some kits for our nephews and nieces who live overseas for x-mas. Good value. Kind of stuff kids love ( I hope!).

Heard a short while ago that a new place was opening in Blessington for kids to do some pottery. The idea was that they could make a mug of their own from start to finish. Did not get the exact details and would be interested if anyone has heard anything about this. Might be an option for your nieces also.

The best Christmas presents I've ever given my seven nieces and nephews were "going into town to the pantomime". Being with them for the treat (home from England) was the important part of it for them, so I agree absolutely with the other posters. Second best was KITES! Again, the whole crowd of us up at the Forty Acres in the Phoenix Park. Memories like this are worth a shopful of plastic junk! Most important part of the gift is the time and interest of the bearer.

Thanks all for the advice. I am investigating the pantomime route as it might provide all of us with a nice evening out.

JohnBoy

Back