Christening Present

ribena

Has anyone any good ideas for a christening present?? I would like to steer away from the Prize Bond route if possible but usually go with that as a safe option. I've already bought clothes etc. for the birth.

A charitable donation on behalf of the child/parents would reflect the Christian ethos of the event better than some worldly good in my opinion.

When our daughter was christened earlier in the year my aunt and uncle gave us a very attractive rose shrub which we planted in the garden the following day, it's bloomed twice already this year and I think we'll always remember it's provenance.

We recently gave a present to a Godchild from the company "The day I was born". It's a nice gift - contains an Irish newspaper from the date of birth, also coins & stamps in circulation at time of birth, as well as a CD single that was no. 1 at the time. All in presentation box.
Nice idea - and hopefully something the child will look back on in later years. Cost €60 - probably overpriced - but still a nice idea.

Website - http://www.thedayiwasborn.ie

I like christening presents to be practical (applies to all presents really!)

Received lots of lovely gifts for my daughters christening a few years ago including lovely jewellery for her - but sadly she hasn't worn any of it and most of it is now too small. Still, I guess she can keep them in a 'memory' box or something like that? Nostalgia is not really my thing :eek:

The gifts that have been used the most and are still in use 4 years on are a Peter Rabbit cup and bowl which came in a lovely box set. Type of thing you wouldn't really buy yourself but is lovely to get as a gift for child. Both cup and bowl are used almost daily and both have survived the dishwasher remarkably well over the years. I think they are wedgewood made? Anyway, I've since seen them in Roches Stores.

We bought shares in a US company for a godchild/nephew in the US - Unfortunately, the minimum purchase was $1k. We set up the account with my missus as trustee.

Murphys of Ireland [broken link removed]
have beautiful Irish linen christening clothes, bootees, alpaca jackets and other gifts (I have no commercial connection with Murphy - just a satisfied customer who believes in something a bit special)

Voucher for a family portrait/baby pictures to be taken professionally. Haven't looked into the cost yet though...

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to go with a Cherry Blossom tree as it's for a girl and they have a new house without any garden yet and I'm also going to sponsor a flock of guinea fowl with http://www.bothar.ie.:)

I read this topic on Friday lunchtime and immediately got in touch with "thedayIwasborn" as I was going to a Christening on Sunday. They gave me an outline of the contents. Price as Valc said was €60 - I thought it was expensive but decided to go for it as time was of a premium. It was delivered to my door on Friday night. Initially I was disappointed because no matter how hard I tried I could not possibly get the contents to add up to more than €25 - and that was at a major push. Then I factored in the fact that I had only ordered it a couple of hours previously and that it was hand delivered at no extra charge. Express Delivery could be another €10. So for customer service they were excellent. The reaction to the gift was very enthusiastic. I don't think I would buy it again because of the price but I do think it's a lovely idea.

my2leftfeet said:
Price as Valc said was €60 - I thought it was expensive but decided to go for it as time was of a premium. It was delivered to my door on Friday night. Initially I was disappointed because no matter how hard I tried I could not possibly get the contents to add up to more than €25 - and that was at a major push. Then I factored in the fact that I had only ordered it a couple of hours previously and that it was hand delivered at no extra charge. Express Delivery could be another €10. So for customer service they were excellent. The reaction to the gift was very enthusiastic. I don't think I would buy it again because of the price but I do think it's a lovely idea.
Are you saying that you valued the customer service alone at c. €25?

No! But I have to acknowledge that they pulled out all the stops and got it to me at short notice. The particular CD that was Number 1 when the baby was born was not in stock when I rang them first and they sourced it. I chose to purchase even though I thought it was expensive - so I can't complain. The fact that I didn't have to physically go out and buy something on Saturday was convenient.

Sorry - I'm just fascinated, especially in the context of the ongoing "rip-off Ireland" complaints here and elsewhere, that somebody would value something at €25 (at a push) plus c. €10 for delivery and an unspecified amount less than €25 for convenience but would happily spend €60 on it. Each to their own though...

I've been very careful with my wording - to be fair to the company. I knew the price and I still decided to purchase - so I can't claim to have been ripped off.

valc said:
We recently gave a present to a Godchild from the company "The day I was born". It's a nice gift - contains an Irish newspaper from the date of birth, also coins & stamps in circulation at time of birth, as well as a CD single that was no. 1 at the time. All in presentation box.
Nice idea - and hopefully something the child will look back on in later years. Cost €60 - probably overpriced - but still a nice idea.

Website - http://www.thedayiwasborn.ie

Received one of these for the birth of my Daughter, was the best present I got, I loved it

DrMoriarty said:
Rip-off or not, the words "money" and "old rope" come to mind here... :rolleyes:
Yeah - the child doesn't know or care about the gifts and it's really just to make the adults feel better. A bit like the christening itself in a lot of cases as far as I can see.

Back